Attending Fair After Accepting Position

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I have no issue being labeled elitist, only data matters. What you or any ITs preference is, does not make any other preference insane or any other type or degree of pathology. Its a reasonable position because you agree with it, it doesnt make such claims fact. Not sharing your proclivity is not a character flaw.
Thames Pirate

Re: Attending Fair After Accepting Position

Post by Thames Pirate »

Funny you should say that given the other thread. Nothing in this thread included data, mentions of insanity, or anything like it. Meanwhile in this one you suddenly consider getting a position that suits you at UNI great, while elsewhere on this board you have called the UNI fair a "dump fair." So you don't actually think it's great unless the point of your post was to put words in my mouth and imply an elitism in me that I never expressed. Your response to me here is not about my saying London or Bangkok is probably more fun to be hired early. It's about attacking and attempting to undermine me based on the other thread. In that other one I posted a number of pieces of evidence, all of which you ignored. You stuck to your guns because it was your preference, called me naive for believing data and evidence, and now you say I am the one who has such a proclivity. Oh, the irony.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

The previous poster @MartElla used insane in their post, please review earlier posts for reference. I made a statement that only data matters, I do not require previous posts to refer to data to make such a statement. There is nothing funny or humerus I find in the other threads?

I do not have a particularly high position on the value of UNI, I do not however represent nor claim to represent the value other participants may have on the value of UNI attendance. UNI is a dump fair, others however may value a dump fair, or hold differing positions.

I do not have any affective investment in your position on elitism or elitist tendencies, not do I hold one myself.
My response was not to you specifically, but to our readership.
My position is exactly as stated, that there is a subset of individuals in IE that may prefer Iowa to BKK or LON, and that I nor anyone else is qualified to speak on their behalf, nor is your personal or anyone elses concept of enjoyment extractable to the IE community at large.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Yes, I suppose it's possible that the advantage of being pre-hired in Iowa is more significant to a portion of our members, but given the nature of the type of person to go into IT, it's unlikely. For most of us--and mostly for me, since it was my own opinion I was expressing--it is more significant in BKK or LON simply because of the location. You had expressed yourself that "there is nothing to do in the area or anything worth seeing with the current weather." My initial comment was simply agreeing with your own stated opinion. But it was the "trophy, certificate, or t-shirt" bit that made it clear it was a dig at me rather than just an observation that there might be some who don't share my opinion (and yours)--a dig made before the word "insane" appeared. Not sure what data would be relevant to the discussion, but it was a pretty significant part of the other thread.

But sure, it wasn't about me.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

This really has turned into one of the more bizarre threads on this forum.
Walter

Post by Walter »

This is great. It's like the Repub Debate last night - with Dave alternating between the Donald and Little Marco. Clue: whenever Dave is rattled, his syntax becomes more convoluted, his vocabulary more obscure and the meaning more incomprehensible.
The best part of all is the original accusation that Dave is an elitist and his acceptance of the term. Oh irony!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Walter wrote:
> This is great. It's like the Repub Debate last night - with Dave
> alternating between the Donald and Little Marco. Clue: whenever Dave is
> rattled, his syntax becomes more convoluted, his vocabulary more obscure
> and the meaning more incomprehensible.
> The best part of all is the original accusation that Dave is an elitist and
> his acceptance of the term. Oh irony!
--------------------------
At risk of piling on, my favorite bit is the "only data matters" line when generally the only data on offer is PG's infamous "trusted sources".

Good times!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

It was not my intention to turn this into a PsyGuy bash. He is a valuable contributor and has helped many people on here. I just didn't appreciate that his annoyance at me on another thread translated into a veiled dig on my agreement with him on this one, and I wanted him to know I saw through it.
senator

Post by senator »

If you go, you may grab an interview that might have gone to someone else who really wanted the job.

Don't be a selfish egotist, basking in the attention (maybe) of getting interviews with schools you know you won't be going to.

Why not just take the trip -UNI in winter, are you kidding me - and get in some ice fishing. Or snowman building. Or ask Iowans why they are so stupid that they would choose Hilary Clinton over Bernie.

Forget the job fair.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Its not just possible, its probable, and regardless of how small a minority it comprises, it does not make it insane. There is nothing to do for me, my preference does not extrapolate to others.

Your interpretations are not my implications, your perceptions are your own.
We do not share the same definition of "significant". What you "saw" is a construct of your own construction.

@MartElla

It has.

@WT123

There is not a lot of unbiased published data for a forum that is largely based on experiential and anecdotal data.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Sorry, PsyGuy, but you really did make it about me. All I said was what you had just expressed, that BKK and LON have more to offer than Iowa. You somehow made my rather innocuous comment--again, expressing what you had just said--into an attack. When you say it, somehow it's just you and does not extrapolate, but when I say it, somehow it deserves a snarky response. I was agreeing with you, and you made it into a thing. That's not about what I said, but about me.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No, you made it about you.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Overseaslifer said:
"Too bad you didn't have this dilemma before heading to Bangkok ... you could have had a few days in Phuket!"

Martalin said:
"Waterloo will be cold and dull"

Mamava said:
"I've spent a lot of time in Iowa in the winter and I'd cut my losses. Keep the time off, and use agoda to find another place to spend the time!"

Walter said:
"Going to Bangkok for a few days sounds a little more attractive than a long weekend in Cedar Falls in February."

You said:
" there is nothing to do in the area or anything worth seeing with the current weather."

Yet the comment you chose to attack was when I agreed with your above statement by saying:
"True, the advantage of being pre-hired is much more significant in London or Bangkok than in Iowa!"

So the data tells me that you aren't attacking the idea that someone might not enjoy a few days in Iowa, but that you are attacking me.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

We do not share the same interpretations.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Your interpretation: Well, other people directly disparaged Iowa in the winter while Thames only said it was less exciting than London or Bangkok. But rather than acknowledge that I just said the same thing, I am going to stick up for the fictional person who was not at all offended by the opinion offered by at least five others, myself included.

My interpretation: I agreed with PsyGuy, but because he wants to undermine me here rather than answer the question I posed on the other thread, he will now attack the very idea that he expressed and that was expressed by at least four other people in a bid to make me seem like an elitist.

Yeah, I would say our interpretation of the data is different, but the data is out there and the people reading this thread can draw their own conclusions.