Returning Stateside to Teach: Plausibility? Tips?

bombayrichard

Returning Stateside to Teach: Plausibility? Tips?

Post by bombayrichard »

I've taught internationally for about twelve years but due to various circumstances am contemplating returning stateside.

My dilemma is that aside from student teaching, I have never taught in America (found a job final semester in Egypt through the UNI fair), and I don't know what my prospects would be. An additional factor is I've been at an IGCSE school the past five years.

I am certified in Colorado with a Masters, but wouldn't even land on American soil until July.

What has been the experience of others? I honestly don't even know if I could handle the discipline issues, etc. Sigh.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Returning Stateside to Teach: Plausibility? Tips?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

We went back after a shorter period of time then you have been overseas. As a SPED teacher I found no problem getting a job but my wife had problems as an elementary teacher finding a full time job.

I think that much will depend on what area you are going back to. Some areas of the country will have a much better job market and will have much better (or worse) behavior issues than others.

As for potential employers (principals) some will be put off by your extensive experience overseas, some will be fascinated and some won't care one way or the other. You will have to try and decide how best to spin or downplay your IGCSE experience to match what they might be looking for in a teacher. If you think you will be going back, start your job search as early as possible. Many states/districts have online job search portals where you can apply for positions and start making connections well before you are actually in country.

Other viable possibilities might be private schools, academies and even int'l schools who would probably place a higher value on your international experience and outlook.

You may find that you don't end up staying back for long. In our case, we went back unwillingly and left again as soon as good opportunities became available.

Others may have more specific feedback or experiences.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Why not look for a British school in the US? There are quite a few around. Or an international school in the US - UN in NYC and Atlanta are two that come to mind.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

I would concur with @SJ, why not relocate to the UK and teach in a British DS?
bombayrichard

Post by bombayrichard »

Wonderful suggestions to ponder--thank you, everyone.

In answer to wrldtrvlr123's reply: I am a Language Arts teacher, so not as in demand as SPED.

Applying for the QTS certification, after reading about it on other threads, is on my agenda. I don't technically qualify, as my license is "Provisional", but I believe PsyGuy and others suggested trying and hoping for human error (i.e., it's overlooked).

I think a private/charter school operating an American curriculum is what I would first pursue, if it actually comes to moving back. The IGCSE curriculum is honestly not one I enjoy teaching. As the adage goes, however, alluding to beggars and choosers...

I know a lot of schools do have an online application process, but as I wouldn't be able to interview until July, I worry about what would still be available.

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice.
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@bombayrichard

When i transitioned from IE to DoDDS I ahd a pretty steep learning curve to adjusting back as a DT, and DoDDS is much easier than a public DS with high stakes testing and students who are nothing more than behavioral issues.

I agree you find virtual interviews becoming more common with DT candidates that are not local. Not being on the ground also gives you more options on location and greater availability. Its likely you will be subbing for your first year back before you get an appointment.