deleted

sdakota

deleted

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowjack

Re: American Certification and QTS

Post by shadowjack »

Find a state where there are almost no requirements for keeping it up. Transfer your certification to that state if possible. Then, if they change requirements, you are usually grandfathered in.

While you might not expect to return, life happens and you might. Always keep that in the back of your mind. Teaching internationally doesn't always work for everybody, and not always by their choice. Always have a backup. QTS means you are qualified in England (Scotland and Wales have a few different hoops to jump through). State certification means you don't have to wait for the state to evaluate your QTS from a different country.

just my two halalas,

shad
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I'll be interested to hear others' opinions but I would say it could matter to some extent. If you are dealing with admin types from the US as prospective employers, they may or may not be fully aware of the value of QTS and may or may not focus in solely on the fact that your US certs have lapsed.

It probably would not be a deal breaker in most cases but if you can keep it current relatively easily then why risk missing out on even one opportunity because of it?
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

shadowjack wrote:
> Find a state where there are almost no requirements for keeping it up.
> Transfer your certification to that state if possible. Then, if they change
> requirements, you are usually grandfathered in.

I've looked but only California has this, I think. And their process is expensive and I can't do it online, I don't think. Does anyone know an easy state to park my cert in?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@sdakota

It will really depend on what your goals are and your particular circumstances. If your academic background/degree is congruent with your teaching and certification area, then QTS by itself will be sufficient under most circumstances.If you have a number of certifications which you do not have academic preparation then maintaining a US certification is going to provide you a regulatory basis for claiming competency to teach those subjects. otherwise you are just an IT saying they can teach X, because they claim to. Where a US certification is going to have strong marketability is those ISs that require a US certification (due to partnership or accreditation) or in upper tier AS that want one.

There are however some options for maintaining a US certification. CA and NJ are the destination states to park US certification. CA has the higher status and marketability, but the process and requirements are much harder to attain for the CLEAR certificate, if you qualify there is no PD requirement, and only requires a minimal fee every 5 years. The other option is NJ, that doesnt enjoy the same utility in marketability but NJ offers a lifetime certificate at all three levels of credentialing. There is no renewal or PD requirement, and the requirements are easier to meet.

Another option available in some states is voluntary inactivation that essentially allows you to stop the clock on your certificates expiration, though it is no longer valid for providing instructional services in the state. This is often the pathway for retired DTs who no longer teach but wish to remain certified educators.

Many states require their DTs to obtain PD credits hours though approved program providers or completion of university coursework. Most of the state providers do not offer or do not have available programs for ITs out of country (the exception being IB and AP workshops), necessitating enrollment and obtainment of in University courses.
sdakota

Re: Response

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sdakota

I do not see how you would have to complete 30 hours of coursework for either NJ or CA?

CA requires "subject matter competence" and defines subject matter competence as having a closely matching certificate in the content area. Both "History" and "English" meet the definitions for social science and English. The credit hour requirements are only necessary if you have an esoteric teaching area, that doesnt match closely to a CA teaching area. There are however additional requirements for the CLEAR credential.
1) 2 years of teaching experience
2) An ESOL endorsement or license
3) A Masters degree (though you could be one of the rare applicants that completed a 5 year Bachelors program, CA generally doesnt except PD completed out of state).

In NJ the requirement for the CEAS is certification with completion of a field experience (student or clinical teaching) and passing score on an approved assessment, which NJ uses the Praxis, you have already completed the English exam, at most you would need to do is complete the history/social studies Praxis exam. Thats a day of testing. The standard certificate in NJ would require 2 years of teaching experience.

What you likely did was identified the page for NJ requirements for DTs completing their ITT/EPP program in the state of NJ under 'local' requirements.
sdakota

Re: Reply

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sdakota

The CEAS is a lifetime certificate without expiration.

Technically no, practically yes. A professional credential needs two primary criteria: 1) Be free of deficiencies, and 2) Permanent (either non expiring or indefinitely renewable). The CEAS contains a deficiency, you havent completed NJ induction. The Teachers College wouldnt likely accept a NJ CEAS.
From a practical position the complications are that its titled a "certificate of eligibility", however its also permanent. If you only had a CEAS id advise no, but with QTS it changes the equation. You have a professional educator credential, QTS, and in addition you have a CEAS thats a permanent certificate and attests to American curriculum experience and your additional teaching field

In IE, Landscape, forest though the trees, the CEAS is a difference without distinction from the standard certificate. Steal to the grindstone, hard edge of the blade, the CEAS and the standard certificate are not equivalent.

Your QTS contains two teaching fields, and it will likely reflect history and literature, it just doesnt display that on your QTS certificate. You also have the option of waiting two years and then applying for the NJ standard certificate, but that has risks associated with it.