International schools in South Korea, Japan, or Singapore?

expatscot

Re: International schools in South Korea, Japan, or Singapor

Post by expatscot »

With SG, can you live across in Malaysia and commute - does this save money, or is the commute just too stupid to consider?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jeremiah2016

The upper end of EE and the bottom end of IE is about ¥300K/month and local commute/metro. Aside from that you would potentially get a sharing of insurance/pension and possibly one way airfare up to some limit. As far as housing you MAY be offered some form of subsidized housing (which is really just a discount of the market rate for a specific accommodation, assuming you take it).

Housing subsidies have fallen, but housing costs have also risen (less new construction). It depends what your housing needs are, there are a lot of JP expats living in ¥45K-¥65K 1K flats/apartments.

@expatscot

Bad idea, theres a passport check, and youd have to take a put-put bus across the border, theres also nothing really on the other side. Youd be constantly traveling into SG proper all the time.
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

kmkm
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

In most countries in developed asia - it really depends where you are situated. For example, being in Jeju if you don't like the outdoors and don't want to learn Korean would be challenging as a single. However living in Seoul or some of the other larger cities is not too bad. I also think that there are different cities in China as well - but the ME is another story. I would not want to live there (apart from possibly Oman and Jordan) but that's through personal choice.

Just remember that as a European example the poster has chosen: Slovakia, Germany or Switzerland?...
jeremiah2016

Post by jeremiah2016 »

pgrass wrote:
> I work at a 2nd tier school not in Tokyo or Yokohama and get paid 500,000
> yen per month plus 150,000 yen per month housing allowance. This is based
> on 10 years teaching experience. Also I do not have deductions for health
> insurance as that is covered completely.

Wow, that's quite a sum! By any chance, do salary differs for teachers teaching in different sections; elementary, middle and high school? Or do they just look at experience and qualifications? I've almost 9 years of experience and a Masters. Could it be that I'm being shortchanged then? Just wondering...
jeremiah2016

Re: Reply

Post by jeremiah2016 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @jeremiah2016
>
> The upper end of EE and the bottom end of IE is about ¥300K/month and
> local commute/metro. Aside from that you would potentially get a sharing of
> insurance/pension and possibly one way airfare up to some limit. As far as
> housing you MAY be offered some form of subsidized housing (which is really
> just a discount of the market rate for a specific accommodation, assuming
> you take it).
>
> Housing subsidies have fallen, but housing costs have also risen (less new
> construction). It depends what your housing needs are, there are a lot of
> JP expats living in ¥45K-¥65K 1K flats/apartments.
>
> @expatscot
>
> Bad idea, theres a passport check, and youd have to take a put-put bus
> across the border, theres also nothing really on the other side. Youd be
> constantly traveling into SG proper all the time.

Thanks for the heads up.I figured I would just get my foot into Japan first and then gain the necessary experience and skills....probably better than comparing my salary with those in the top or 2nd tiered schools.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

I loved teaching in Korea. Made good money, travelled China, Japan and SE Asia, made many good Korean friends. Having said that, I was in my early 20s and the lifestyle suited me. Didn't hurt that I love Korean food either.
sdakota

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

jeremiah2016 wrote:
> pgrass wrote:
> > I work at a 2nd tier school not in Tokyo or Yokohama and get paid 500,000
> > yen per month plus 150,000 yen per month housing allowance. This is based
> > on 10 years teaching experience. Also I do not have deductions for health
> > insurance as that is covered completely.
>
> Wow, that's quite a sum! By any chance, do salary differs for teachers teaching in
> different sections; elementary, middle and high school? Or do they just look at
> experience and qualifications? I've almost 9 years of experience and a Masters. Could
> it be that I'm being shortchanged then? Just wondering...

The salary is the same whatever you teach. A masters would give you a pay increase of around 35,000 yen per month at my school. My quoted salary does not include the masters pay bump. It isn't the best package in the country, but it is up there.

There are some very high paying schools in Japan that are off the radar of most people on this forum. One reason is that people stay at them for a long time so few positions come up, so less teachers hear about those schools. ASIJ and Yokohama are not the only schools that pay top dollar.
jeremiah2016

Post by jeremiah2016 »

pgrass wrote:
> jeremiah2016 wrote:
> > pgrass wrote:
> > > I work at a 2nd tier school not in Tokyo or Yokohama and get paid 500,000
> > > yen per month plus 150,000 yen per month housing allowance. This is based
> > > on 10 years teaching experience. Also I do not have deductions for health
> > > insurance as that is covered completely.
> >
> > Wow, that's quite a sum! By any chance, do salary differs for teachers teaching
> in
> > different sections; elementary, middle and high school? Or do they just look at
> > experience and qualifications? I've almost 9 years of experience and a Masters.
> Could
> > it be that I'm being shortchanged then? Just wondering...
>
> The salary is the same whatever you teach. A masters would give you a pay increase of
> around 35,000 yen per month at my school. My quoted salary does not include the
> masters pay bump. It isn't the best package in the country, but it is up there.
>
> There are some very high paying schools in Japan that are off the radar of most
> people on this forum. One reason is that people stay at them for a long time so few
> positions come up, so less teachers hear about those schools. ASIJ and Yokohama are
> not the only schools that pay top dollar.

Thanks for sharing all these info. these schools that you've mentioned, are they international schools too or private schools reserved for a particular group of students only? IS are usually listed in on the CIS or IBO websites yeah? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I've been on the IS scene for 3 years only.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

jeremiah2016 wrote:
> pgrass wrote:
> > jeremiah2016 wrote:
> > > pgrass wrote:
> > > > I work at a 2nd tier school not in Tokyo or Yokohama and get paid
> 500,000
> > > > yen per month plus 150,000 yen per month housing allowance. This is
> based
> > > > on 10 years teaching experience. Also I do not have deductions for
> health
> > > > insurance as that is covered completely.
> > >
> > > Wow, that's quite a sum! By any chance, do salary differs for teachers
> teaching
> > in
> > > different sections; elementary, middle and high school? Or do they just
> look at
> > > experience and qualifications? I've almost 9 years of experience and a
> Masters.
> > Could
> > > it be that I'm being shortchanged then? Just wondering...
> >
> > The salary is the same whatever you teach. A masters would give you a pay
> increase of
> > around 35,000 yen per month at my school. My quoted salary does not include the
> > masters pay bump. It isn't the best package in the country, but it is up there.
> >
> > There are some very high paying schools in Japan that are off the radar of most
> > people on this forum. One reason is that people stay at them for a long time so
> few
> > positions come up, so less teachers hear about those schools. ASIJ and Yokohama
> are
> > not the only schools that pay top dollar.
>
>
> Thanks for sharing all these info. these schools that you've mentioned, are they
> international schools too or private schools reserved for a particular group of
> students only? IS are usually listed in on the CIS or IBO websites yeah? Sorry if I
> sound ignorant but I've been on the IS scene for 3 years only.

Some are international and some are private. Some schools owned by universities are among the highest paying in the country...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @pgrass, there are a number of DSs and ISs (some of the best for coin are attached to Unis) that arent accessible to an IT who isnt in country and on site, and may not have connections, that compensate comparably to upper tier ISs. This exists in most regions and locations and not just JP.

@sdakota

How do you define SK? Seoul and SK are not comparable experiences. If your a single guy in Seoul, and you have a decent IS and the coin that goes with it, Seoul, can be a lot of fun. There is access to imports or local equivalents of just about everything you would want and need. Advance medical care, efficient infrastructure, strong culinary pedigree. Does it have the same sophistication and refinement as JP, no, but does that matter to you?
Outside of Seoul, most of JK is still very provincial, and even in soul their are very few ISs that are truly representative of IE, many of them are private/independent DSs for host nationals. Many of these goods are less competitive than their mates, but their parents have coin and affluence and so they can afford fees and tuition.

Is SK better than China, depends how you define better. SHA is just as flossy and dram filled as Seoul is. China has a bigger environmental issue for some ITs. There is more opportunity in China than SK. It could be a long list of ads/disads, that wouldnt mean much without knowing your priorities and objectives.

@jeremiah2016

IS compensation charts (scale and band) generally do not differentiate between primary and secondary, this practice is more common in host national DSs (mostly private/independent), and yes secondary DTs in those DSs in JP can and do have different salary bands for primary and secondary appointments.