Thanks, but no thanks

Lebenstraum

Thanks, but no thanks

Post by Lebenstraum »

I got an email from a school in an area that I am really not interested in asking to meet with me at the Cambridge fair. How do I politely say thanks, but no thanks?
Thames Pirate

Re: Thanks, but no thanks

Post by Thames Pirate »

Not that hard.

Thanks for your interest in my profile, but I am not looking for work in X region/country/job/school type/whatever or just thanks, but after reviewing your school profile, I don't believe it would be a good fit for me.

Most of the schools contacting you cold are contacting TONS of people cold. It's probably a for-profit or regional tier 3 school in a place like China or the ME, right? They probably contacted every person with your certification without dependents they could find in the hopes of someone being willing to take the job. Most of them probably don't bother to write back if they are not interested, but of course it is not only polite, but could potentially help you out further down the road, and a quick email is easy. They won't be offended if you just say you aren't interested.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would not use that specific phrase of rejection that your not interested, etc.. You never know when a recruiter/leadership will be somewhere else and they may take offense. Short simple and non judgmental; Thank them for the invitation, but you are pursuing other opportunities.

I agree with @Thames Pirate, these recruiters rep 3rd tier hardship ISs and are cold contacting everyone attending the fair that matches the certifications they need.
Lebenstraum

Post by Lebenstraum »

Thanks for your help!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

The benefits of posting when not jet lagged--Psyguy's response is better phrased!
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

It's not always T3 schools that do this, though yes maybe schools in a less than desirable location. I was cold contacted by 2 schools this recruiting season. Granted, both were in China, but one was a very reputable school in Beijing. The other sent contract package details and they were competitive. Neither I would consider third tier at all. Had I not decided to stay at my current school I would have seriously considered the Beijing offer - well maybe not that seriously as the pollution risk would sway that :_)