School Direct PGCE

wavejumper

School Direct PGCE

Post by wavejumper »

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out more about the School Direct method of teacher training. I've read on some forums that certain School Direct qualifications are not recognised outside of England.

A university I am applying to offers University led training and School Direct training. Both options result in a PGCE awarded by the university and QTS.

I have been offered a place in the School Direct program. I'm wondering if this is a good option as I don't want to limit my opportunities to teach internationally in future.

Any advice regarding how School direct is viewed in the world of international education would be greatly appreciated!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The Teachers College of London (the regulatory authority in England) does not recognize credentials obtained: 1) Outside of the UK (Scotland & Ireland), 2) Outside of the EEA (European Economic Area) or 3) Outside of the USA, AUS/NZ, CAN. If youre credentialed in one of those areas you are eligible for QTS.

The School Direct option you are likely participating in at your Uni is SCITT.
There are three different pathways:

1) School Direct (SD): This is an experiential route of completing ITT and obtaining QTS. Its very similar to an apprenticeship. You arent paid, but youre eligible for bursaries (financial aid).

2) School Direct/Salaried (SDS): This is also an experiential route available to those who have experience in the teaching field, and as a result you are paid. Maths and Science are the hardest to fill areas that you will find with this program option. It is otherwise the same as School Direct.

3) SCITT (School Centered Initial Teacher Training): Is a hybrid academic program offered by a local authority in partnership with a Uni. Essentially you take your courses at your DS while gaining experience (apprenticing) in a DS. You are eligible for the same bursaries for SD and scholarships. You will also earn an actual PGCE and graduate units. The benefit will be that you will be in a DS to complete induction and earn full QTS

Your program will provide you with a PGCE and NQT status as such it is as suitable an option as any other professional teaching credential in IE. You will be able to name the University on your transcript so unless you are specifically asked the issue of SD will not be an issue, and from a pragmatic view the differences are more technical than practical. Of course you will want to complete induction and obtain full QTS upon completion of your ITT.
wavejumper

Re: School Direct PGCE

Post by wavejumper »

Thanks Psyguy!

I guess the route that would be problematic in terms of IE might be School Direct with QTS but without the PGCE, meaning you would not have an academic teaching credential.

School Direct with PGCE should be fine.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wavejumper

Lack of a PGCE wouldnt be much of an inhibiting factor in IE. There are two components of an ITs resume what they can teach (degrees, credentials, etc) and what they have taught (experience, scores). Of those experience is king. After a few years of successful classroom experience the lack of a PGCE is going to be a nominal factor. An upper (elite) tier BS would be the most likely scenario where it would be an issue, but by that point where an IT is competitive for those tier level vacancies they will likely have a Masters.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Lack of QTS is the limiting factor as you will have to prove your certification. My advice would be do the school direct, get your QTS and a couple of years experience in the UK and then head international. That way you never have to worry about it and by that time nobody cares whether you got it school direct or University of Greenwich or wherever. All that matters is QTS.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

QTS is everything, a PGCE includes QTS as a NQT, there is an increase in ITs that have not and dont intend to complete induction, and unless youre pursuing an elite tier BS, its not an issue for marketability.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Unless, PsyGuy, at some point you have to go back to the UK and you are past your induction period. IE your parent's fall ill and you simply have to go back to deal with it, assist them, etc. Of your significant other just cannot function anymore internationally. Or you realize your kids are missing out on all the family stuff and want to give them a taste of it while they are still young and build some bonds with the cousins and aunts and uncles.

At that point if your induction period is over, you are screwed. A year or two is a small price to pay and opens up, in many cases, better doors to walk through.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

R2012 Guidance for Statutory Induction, part 1.6 dictates there is no prescribed time limit for the completion of induction. There is not expiration or time frame that one must complete induction by/within.
Arsenalfc

Post by Arsenalfc »

Does anyone know if International Schools count the first year of the School Direct programme as one of the two years teaching experience required?

In other words, would it be possible to get a job at an international school with one year's experience from the School Direct programme and one year as an NQT?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Arsenalfc

Some will some wont. Some lower tier ISs will want to put you on a lower step on the comp scale, and will convince you that field experience doesnt count. Upper and mid tier ISs will consider it for step on the comp scale.

My advise would be to present it as full teaching experience, you managed a classroom for two years, thats what matters. If you dont tell them (whether its an IS or an agency) it was fieldwork or just dont point it out, then unless someone else brings it up or makes an issue of it, its isnt an issue.