Result of interview

nuts88

Result of interview

Post by nuts88 »

I've recently had my first ever Skype interview with a very respected school in the ME. I thought the interview went OK, not the best I've ever had, but OK. I was informed that a decision would be made on a certain day, which is now well passed. I emailed the Head a few days ago asking if a decision had been made, but have still received no contact.

Is this the norm on the International circuit?
shadowjack

Re: Result of interview

Post by shadowjack »

I see a few scenarios.
(1) Either he is really busy with something that came up and hasn't made a decision yet.
(2) He thinks you are OK but is trying to recruit someone he thinks is better. If not, then he will suddenly get back in touch with you offering you the job.
(3) He's hired someone else and hasn't gotten around to telling you yet (if ever).
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I hope I'm wrong but it sounds to me like a hire has been made and it wasn't you. Don't let it get you down and keep sending those applications out.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I wouldn't say it's norm but it happens a lot more than you would hope it would and probably more than it does in the states or other home countries (though in general, I find admin types to be very uneven in the HR part of their jobs).

As SJ has said, there are a number of possibilities and you have no idea what the reality is. That being said, if it was an actual confirmed position and they haven't gotten back to you with an offer yet I would hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
nuts88

Post by nuts88 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tbh I'm just surprised at the lack of manners. I got a great first impression at interview, but maybe I was wrong!
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

That's the same situation that I am in. I was promised a call back in a week, but have not received an email yet. It is making me nervous and I truly do not want to miss out on this school. I do not want to bother them but at the same time I think it is imperative that I reach out . Best of luck of you !!!
Basmad6

Post by Basmad6 »

Don't wait around for a call or email. Hopefully you sent a follow up thank you post interview. You can send another one if you were promised a date for a response, but keep it direct and professional. After that move on with other options. If you wait for that one call you will be missing out on other opportunities. Admin are busy at this point and if they haven't hired out of Bangkok or London they're prepping to head to the states for the job fairs in Feb.
Sure it seems rude, but it's not uncommon. Just stay professional with any contacts you've made and then move forward.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its common, but not uncommon. Typically upper tier ISs will send a form rejection letter, lower tier ISs dont spend time or resources on rejections, they just ignore you.

I would otherwise agree with @SJ, except that there is no number 1. The rule is when an IS wants you they act like they want you. The options are 1) They are waiting on the outcome of another candidate. 2) They arent interested.

You should not delay your vacancy search, only offers/contracts matter regardless what a recruiter or leadership claims or requests.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

nuts88 wrote:
> Thanks for the replies everyone. Tbh I'm just surprised at the lack of
> manners. I got a great first impression at interview, but maybe I was
> wrong!

this happens a lot. psyguy's rumsfeld-esque first sentence sums it up. my wife and i have had several interviews - most of which went well, others not so much, and they simply never followed up in any way. it can't be that hard to fire a quick email saying "we went with someone else," or "we're not interested," or "it's not you, it's us - well, actually it's you."

don't sweat it, it happens. there's a lack of etiquette with some people, which is surprising considering (as a recruiter) you deal in the currency of teachers.

anyways, best of luck to you!

v.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@vandsmith

This hurts a lot of IT candidates to hear, but its not hard to send a rejection email, the leadership at the IS just doesnt think the candidate is worth the effort of rejecting them.
nuts88

Post by nuts88 »

Thanks for the replies. Finally got the "unsuccessful" letter today. Ah well, at least I know.

Good luck newcounsil.