PE Teaching Advice

bendetwile2

PE Teaching Advice

Post by bendetwile2 »

Currently, I am working as an Athletic Director/PE Teacher (secondary) at a reputable IB international school in South Asia. This is my first job post-certificate which will put me at two years experience going into my next job shall I pursue another. I have a couple questions that I would love some advice on:

1. I am looking to get into a more cosmopolitan area in Asia such as Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Shanghai and Seoul. I am open to any region in the world if Asia does not work out. What do you think are my chances? BTW, I am a 26-year old American male.

2. As I was hired via Search before, I tend to think they are worth the money. Which fair would you recommend based on my information?

I really do appreciate your advice!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: PE Teaching Advice

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

So, unless I have missed something, you were hired as AD/PE Teacher by a reputable IB school with zero experience? Good on you. If you were accepted by Search with no experience the first time why wouldn't you have a good shot after two years of experience?

As you know, PE jobs are always going to be a bit hit or miss but you seem to have had good luck so far.
bendetwile2

Post by bendetwile2 »

@wrldtrvlr123

Yes, it was a bit of luck for sure and being in the right place at the right time. Location definitely played a part as this a hardship location. That is a good point. I am hoping the two years will make me eligible for some of the better locations.
tommypizza

Post by tommypizza »

Yeah...Why do you need advice?! As long as your references check out, you seem like an excellent candidate for one of the big Asian schools. You have excellent experience and you are young and most likely energetic...exactly what many schools want in Asia. If you are in Search, then Bangkok is the fair for you...that is a no brainer except you are single. BKK tends to be a couples and IB fair but you have the IB and AD experience. Don't know about the Aussie fair. I would think that you might be able to secure a good job through SKYPE..previous to fairs...BUT your references must be bullet proof.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Take a chance. You never know what might happen. My first response is too young, not enough experience to land at a top school in those cities, but you know what? Stranger things have happened. You're young, you can afford to take risks, so why not? Good luck with your hunt!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It appears you have been very fortunate to date. While you have strong performance to date, the primary issue is that all the other candidates are going to have strong current backgrounds as well, and your resume is still very lite on experience.

If you do decide to move your going to likely take a salary cut as your probable options are going to be PHE IT without the AD.

The rule is you go to the best/most competitive fair you can get an invite for. You are lite on experience for BKK but your alreay successful in IE so I would aim for BKK, though your likely to find less frustration at LON. BKK isnt the IB fair, LON is. BKK is the superstar fair. Couples and singles ado equally as well.