Working in Beijing - Is it worth it? (i.e. damage to health)

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Overhere

Interesting article, I know of no one when residing in Beijing who used a coal burning heater, but I didnt know everyone, and of course the government/media position was that they were obsolete.
HereThereEverywhere

Re: Working in Beijing - Is it worth it? (i.e. damage to hea

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

@PsyGuy
Yeah, in the city there isn't much burning of coal by households. Almost never see it, but outside of the 5th ring road (the outer limits of Beijing proper) this isn't the case. People still burn coal briquettes and I have personally seen spent ones outside of small homes. Its not so common anymore, but still happens. Also, the air moves. Beijing might have a good few hours on its own, but everything outside the 5th ring road blows one way or another eventually. Tens of millions of people relying mostly on coal powered plants for electricity still seems to result in pollution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... in_Beijing

Additionally, neighboring provinces do not have the same restrictions as Beijing and it just takes a few hours of wind for Hebei or wherever's air to blow into Beijing. Not that I blame them, their pollution is largely the result of Beijing "solving" its pollution problem by moving industry to neighboring areas. Heck man, the only reason that Beijing stays good any amount of time is because of the north wind blowing this region's pollution south. You can see it if you follow pollution forecasts with aqi.cn or aqcast.com Actions inside Beijing, up to this point, have done very little. Fingers crossed, the north winds blows forever.
senator

Post by senator »

Everyone is focusing on air pollution. Pollution of the soil and water which leads to poisoned food is as great a concern since one of the draws of China, for me anyway, was eating good, healthy, and CHEAP local food - vegetables, meat, fish, rice. If you have to buy canned imported food, why go overseas?

You only get one liver and one pair of kidneys and they do not need to be overworked and poisoned.Again, nothing may show up for years, but if it does you will always wonder if your wonderful 3 years in China was the cause.

I cannot believe that people are still debating whether or not to live in China - especially Beijing!
interteach

Post by interteach »

I have lived in Beijing for nine years now and my health is great. I know people who have lived here more than twice as long as me and they're in excellent health. It's true that I work at one of the big schools with state of the art air filtration and I have air filters at home. If you're the type who needs regular access to wide open green spaces and outdoor activities this isn't the place for you. If you're an urban dweller it can be great.

My guess is that in the last few years more people have died in the US from contaminated produce like bagged spinach and melons than have died in China. It's a developing country and so you need to shop with discretion. But you can be fine.

If you like working at Type A schools and like cities you can do very well here. If having to run air filters at home is unacceptable don't come. But a lot of people stay here a long time with no health issues over decades. Just saying.
senator

Post by senator »

Man,

(And remember I lived in China for years and have a lot of Chinese who give me the facts)

Do you have any idea how many Chinese have died due to tainted food and goods? You obviously don't.

Stop making foolish statements that have no basis.

And some people smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day for 80 years and never get lung disease. Does that mean smoking is safe?
interteach

Post by interteach »

Well of course you would say that because as far as I can tell you regard everyone who teaches internationally to be a bunch of sissies with no spine and even less judgment.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Yes interteach, but this justifies his life decisions, of which he subconsciously regrets. So cut him some slack.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

You should be aware that science doesnt 'prove' anything and cant.
senator

Post by senator »

@ interteach

Sorry, Man, you've got it wrong.

If it weren't for the pollution I'd still be in China. But I know what to expect. Newbies don't.

And if you think I was being too harsh, I had to be. You are giving advice that can harm someone. You stated falsely that more people die in the U.S. from tainted goods than in China. You used your and one other person's examples to make a blanket statement about the safety of living in China, in regard to pollution.

Newbies don't know.

And I think that most intelligent people on this site can read between most of my lines to get my true message, which is not to never work overseas, but to not think that it is the paradise many of you describe it as. 25 years ago it was a paradise. Now it is too often just another job.

So sorry if you took what I said personally, but you can't skew the facts when the results may negatively impact people's health.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Hook, line, sinker.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We lived in China for years, during the whole melamine in the milk scare and watching the pollution rise every year. Food and water are not the issue--you can buy imported milk, etc. We had access to organic produced that was certified organic. We figured out pretty quickly what street food avoid, not just because it might make you sick, but because you didn't really know what it was (an episode of cat meat basted in goat urine being passed off as mutton). You drink filtered water. It's the air pollution that is the hardest to manage--even with air filters (top quality) in your homes, you're spending most of the day away from home. Your kids can't go outside to play, or they have to play in the pollution. You will be working in schools that probably don't have clean air (ours did and it was obvious on a daily basis the monitoring and work that goes into hospital-quality air). That being said, we experienced no problems. We know people who came with resp. issues and had no problems and people who developed them there. The gray day after day can weigh on you, knowing it's not just cloudy. People have weighed their options and gone there and loved it...just as people have in different "hardship" areas around the world. For the most part, you really won't know until you get there. We went with our youngest being 5...the hardest were the long runs of days indoors at school because of no recess...you do adapt if you love it there.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@mamava

The issue with that scenario, is that you cant say you had no problems, you dont know what may develop in the future months, or years from now as a result of breathing in those contaminates. You could have lung cancer in a few years or 10 years as as result of exposure.
senator

Post by senator »

Why bother, PsyGuy?

If people want to take a chance on carrying an oxygen tank with them for the rest of their lives, who are we to argue?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@senator

We have an audience far greater than the individual LW. The argument may save someone later who is a future reader.