Teaching Couple at the Job Fair

austin

Teaching Couple at the Job Fair

Post by austin »

A few questions about job fair strategy.

We are getting nervous that there will only be 5-10 schools with openings for both of us. I am the more experienced teacher with international experience, and my husband has been teaching for three years but in a different subject than the one he is applying for. I already know that is a hurdle we will have to overcome.

So, if we run out of schools to apply to at the fair with positions for both of us, should I start approaching schools that have a position open for me with a possibility of a trailing spouse? We also have two kids, and I know that makes things more complicated. At my last international school, my husband found work outside of the school since he wasn't a teacher yet, and we aren't opposed to that idea. Maybe he could find a different school to work at (in a bigger city of course) or find other work provided a visa allows it. What other countries besides Singapore and Hong Kong would he be able to work on a dependent visa?

I should add that a top school showed interest in my application but then stated they had nothing for my husband. This has happened at least three times already this season. There are many more vacancies (twice as many) in my field as there are in my husbands, and I would like to find a way to communicate to schools that we are flexible and willing to make it work.

Thanks in advance!
vandsmith

Re: Teaching Couple at the Job Fair

Post by vandsmith »

you could definitely find work for both of you in the middle east - dubai, abu dhabi, doha, saudi if you wanted. i'm not really sure what your geographical desire is but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work for him, even if it's substitute work.

there are other schools in whatever city you decide on, and he could also get hired as a local. but subbing is probably better.

also - 5-10 schools is pretty decent. are they ones that you like?

don't be nervous - schools will probably want to talk to you both together BUT don't play your flexibility too early. people will say the 2 kids are a deal breaker but at worst it limits your choices. most decent schools won't really care that much.

best of luck!

v.
austin

Post by austin »

Thank you so much for the fast reply. We are pretty open regarding locations. Our kids are young, so we just want something safe and comfortable for our kiddos. We wouldn't even mind the compound life either since I hear it is great for young families.

We made an Ichiro to put in school mailboxes. Should we advertise that he is looking for his subject area as well as substitute? Or just let schools know that it is a possibility if there is only a position for me? From what I understand, few schools hire substitutes, but I wonder if schools are open to a trailing spouse, who is certified and experienced, substituting without being on a regular salary. We just need to get my hubby some international experience, so we are definitely flexible.

Should I approach tables with openings just for me? How do I present this?
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

austin wrote:
> Thank you so much for the fast reply. We are pretty open regarding
> locations. Our kids are young, so we just want something safe and
> comfortable for our kiddos. We wouldn't even mind the compound life either
> since I hear it is great for young families.
>
> We made an Ichiro to put in school mailboxes. Should we advertise that he
> is looking for his subject area as well as substitute? Or just let schools
> know that it is a possibility if there is only a position for me? From
> what I understand, few schools hire substitutes, but I wonder if schools
> are open to a trailing spouse, who is certified and experienced,
> substituting without being on a regular salary. We just need to get my
> hubby some international experience, so we are definitely flexible.
>
> Should I approach tables with openings just for me? How do I present this?

others are far more experienced in giving advice than I; however, you should always try to punch "above your weight," if that makes sense. from where i stand, you are both certified teachers - husband with 3 years exp., you with more - and you have 2 kids - school aged?

you both pass the minimum requirements for most schools. having 2 kids - many will say - makes it more difficult to get positions. while i'm sure that's true it's also true people with dependents do get hired.

apply to schools that you both like. you are both teachers. there are usually opportunities for spouses, especially certified teaching spouses.

without knowing more details about your subjects/grade focus, and which schools in which locales are interested (again, 5-10 schools is a great number to have to choose from!) it seems like you should have few problems securing work. apply to the schools you like. interview as a couple. be open to where you might live for a few years. it will all work out.

good luck!

v.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Also, why not apply for jobs that your husband has the experience for? And then once you are in that system, if an opening comes up in what he wants to teach, ask to take it on the next year? That way you might expand the number of schools you could apply to.
austin

Post by austin »

Thank you for the replies.

My husband is currently teaching in a CTE (vocational) program at a local high school. He is certified in that area and has a relevant degree. He also has another degree and certification in Physical Education, and I teach English. So although he does not have P.E. experience yet, he does have three years of classroom management in a performance-based environment (similar to a P.E. environment).

Unfortunately, vocational positions are difficult to find overseas, and he is just as passionate about physical education, so he is looking to transfer into that role. He is also willing to substitute or help in other areas until a position opens up.

We are hoping that my qualifications will stir up some interest, but we just weren't sure how to approach tables when only my position was advertised. So, it sounds like, we just give them our resumes and explain that he is certified and we are flexible for the right school and position.
PsyGuy

Responses

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with @vandsmith in that 5-10 paired vacancies is very good assuming they are interested in your candidacy.

It will be very difficult for you to receive an appointment. The issue is your spouse doesnt have a marketable teaching field and PHE has lots of applicants and he has no experience in teaching PHE. Add the two kids and your a 4:1 Literature IT. You are a logistical challenge with your dependents, you are a very expensive hire to fill a literature classroom.
You really arent a teaching couple. I would advise that you being the stronger IT that you go solo as a IT with a trailing spouse. If an IS is still interested in you with that pitch then adding that your spouse is an inexperienced PHE IT increases the probability that they can do create or manage a vacancy for your spouse. Id leave the spouse off the Ichiro, its a factor to bring up during negotiating a contract. You are essentially making a position of some sort for your spouse a condition of service and you need them interested and excited in you for the recruiter/leadership to see that as a reasonable accommodation.

Subbing/relief teaching will not qualify as IE experience for your spouse. Assuming your potential IS has no PHE vacancies the suggestion of ASP IT/Coordinator may be an option.

A few options:

1) I do not know what your spouses vocational area is but it may be aligned to the IBs design technology course.

2) Again not knowing your spouses vocational area he may be qualified for some form of ICT or technology based support or position.

3) If your spouses vocational field is esoteric, focusing on municipal/regulated DSs may provide appointment options, as you currently are experienced with.

4) Your spouse needs to start looking at athletics coaching, many ISs are going to require that a PHE IT coaches athletics in ASPs. The sooner your spouse can start this, the sooner he can market it as applicable experience.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

To unpack the lingo for you, an ASP is an after school program.
austin

Post by austin »

Thank you very much for the reply. Currently, there is not a market for his vocational position overseas; however, we are still pursuing DoD schools which would provide him with more opportunities should a position come through CONUS.

Although he has no P.E. experience, he does have some coaching experience, and I still believe that having teaching experience vs. having zero teaching experience will make a difference. Some ITs do make it overseas straight out of school and we are flexible with location as well. I understand the intent is to provide us with a reality check, but I still believe that as a teaching couple, we have a good shot at getting into a decent school. I have often heard that recruiters are very interested in what you are able to teach and not just what you have experience in. Schools will still get a certified teaching couple but will be taking on someone new to the field.

In any case, we have had some interest and we haven't gotten to the fair yet. Hopefully, we can market ourselves and land something great. Here's to thinking positively. :)
austin

Post by austin »

Just an update: We just signed a contract and are canceling our trip to Cambridge. The spots for both of us were dwindling down and we found a school that met our requirements and expectations. My husband will get his experience teaching P.E. and I will have growth opportunities in my field of English. All in all, it was a good recruiting process!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Congratulations! Excellent news for both of you!
lindsmarie017

Post by lindsmarie017 »

Congratulations! What country will you be working in?
austin

Post by austin »

We are heading to Saudi. We are actually pretty excited as the teachers we spoke with talked a lot about the family life there.