need help to navigate certification process!

emilyy925

need help to navigate certification process!

Post by emilyy925 »

hello all,

i'm writing on behalf of my boyfriend. he's begun his 1st year of IT as an elementary (primary) PE/Art/Music assistant teacher. he's recently decided to commit to IT as a career path but isn't sure about what the best options are moving forward. any advice or comments are welcome -

1) he has a bachelor's degree in communication
2) he is a turkish citizen
3) he would like to work in elementary/primary IE
4) he does NOT have a teaching credential, but would like to begin working on a credential that is affordable, maybe offered online, and is a valid credential for teaching in IE
5) he has 1 year of experience at an IS

he wants to just get something that works, so he can begin to work in the field and gain experience. we don't have a lot of money to spend for a credential/master's now and distance learning seems like a viable option. we have found the PGCE(i) online programs offered by Sunderland, Nottingham, and Keele. also The College of New Jersey certificate/master's program and Teach Now/Teach Ready.

what are valid options for him to get a certificate/credential/master's that would qualify him to work in a fair amount of ISs? which route is best for a non-US/UK citizen to get a beginning credential to work in lower-mid tier ISs? everyone seems to have something different to say. many school websites just say "2 years experience + certification", but what certification are they looking for?!

many thanks for any help.

**p.s. his current IS, an mid-upper tier IS, has recommended him to get a master's or PGCEi, which seems conflicting since the info i've been reading suggests that neither is an actual teaching "credential" and doesn't make one very competitive for top tier schools???
shadowjack

Re: need help to navigate certification process!

Post by shadowjack »

If he is already at a school, teach now might be the way to go. Certification out of Washington DC and it IS certification.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Assistant Teachers (AT) arent ITs, AT experience dosnt count as IT experience, your partner has no experience. I have serious doubts his IS is an upper tier IS.

Certification in IE refers to an individuals authorizing credential to provide instructional services in the regulated DS (Domestic Schools) within the jurisdiction of the regulating authority.

I understand why you have been referred to a PGCEi. For Teach Now you need to be able to do your field experience in an accredited IS as the TOR (Teacher of Record) for 12 weeks/3 months. If your partners IS isnt accredited and thus suitable he wont be able to do his field work at his current IS. In addition your partner needs his IS (or another IS) to give him the classroom as the HRT not an AT.
Teach Ready may have been an option for him but you need US Citizenship to qualify for FL certification which is what Teach Ready certifies through.
TCNJ has the same issue, to get a Non-Citizen standard NJ certificate he needs to demonstrate progress in obtaining US Citizenship, otherwise he would not be able to renew the Non-Citizen Standard certificate.

Absent an appropriate placement for field experience in Teach Now a PGCEi is the most feasible distance learning option. Its generally accepted as a working credential in lower tier ISs and you can use it to apply for a professional credential in the US and then apply for QTS. However it does not by itself grant QTS.
It would not be accepted in the vast majority of upper tier ISs.

If he can meet the field experience placement requirements/challenges than Teach Now would be the preferred pathway.
emilyy925

Post by emilyy925 »

much appreciated shadowjack & psyguy!

it's good to know TeachNow is accepted widely and also non-citizens can receive a license. this may be a good option for him.
the only drawbacks were the PRAXIS exam (though necessary) as neither of us have any prior knowledge of the test, and also he would need to coordinate with his IS to be the TOR for the 12 weeks.

i am fully confident in his IS as an accredited and competitive school, it has a full k-12 IB program, accredited through CIS, NEASC, etc. and offers a highly competitive package for HRTs. the idea is if he gets some kind of credential/license, he can gain more experience at this school (post-credential) and move up to become a full-time HRT and use that experience to later move to another IS.

the pathway is unfortunately really convoluted. perhaps just because it is easier at this time, he may take the PGCEi route so he can get into the classroom as soon and easily as possible (since his current IS is presenting this as a viable option). after getting the 2 years experience post-credential and saving up some money, he could look into becoming truly certified or getting a master's in education.

if he wanted to become a certified teacher in turkey, he would have to go back and get his bachelor's in education (not an option for him now). i know that for US/UK citizens, etc. being a certified teacher in your home country and getting 2 years experience at a DS qualifies you to work in IE. but even if he was a certified teacher in turkey, i am not even sure that would qualify him to work in IE as the curriculum is nothing like western curriculum and isn't conducted in english. so the certification and experience would be nul (at least i would think so). does this sound correct? so it seems he must get certified through a UK/US pathway in order to become qualified to work in IE, but after that his only teaching experience will be in IE, not in any DSs.

another question- is a M.Ed a qualifier in itself or you would still need a M.Ed + certification??
aloha_ackbar

Post by aloha_ackbar »

The Praxis exams are not too difficult (depending on the particular exam?) and there seems to be a good amount of study guides/materials available to help prepare for them. Also, there are many testing centers available globally so it may not be too inconvenient. Check here: https://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates

Also, an M.Ed in itself does not always qualify you. So he would still need to get certified. However there are some masters programs that lead to certification, so you'd get both by the time you finish. I think these are usually Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degrees.

It could be a good idea to do Teach-Now (or the PGCEi route), then get an M.Ed in an area of preference later on since this could offer more utility (leadership, information tech, librarian, etc.).
Last edited by aloha_ackbar on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@emilyy925

His current IS is suitable for the 12 week field placement based on the information you supplied, and if they are willing to appoint him as HRT for the field experience that would be a preferred route compared to a PGCEi. Its not that convoluted, Teach Now helps with a lot of the process. It is also potentially cheaper since there is no travel required to participate in the Teach Now program, the PRAXIS exams can be taken in many locations globally.w

Im really curious why his current IS would advance the PGCEi as a preferred method. It takes as long as Teach Now, and costs about the same, and while its accepted at various ISs in the lower tier, it doesnt truly confer a qualification/credential. Whereas the DC certification through Teach Now would make him eligible for full QTS once he obtains the DC teaching credential. Perhaps they use a British Curriculum?

ISs generally accept professional educator credentials from western regulatory authorities, and require their ITs to be fluent if not native English speakers. There are of course exceptions, and FL ITs can have vastly differing qualifications.

I disagree with @aloha_ackbar, to qualify the statement in western education a Masters usually doesnt equate to certification, however a number of regions that dont maintain separate credentialing programs a degree in education is the functional equivalent of a license. In a number of regions an education degree is a defacto certificate (meaning that the education degree and an application leads to a professional credential). In IE in lower tier ISs a Masters in Education would be acceptable for appointment, combined with appropriate grade level experience there would be no practical loss of marketability (until you wanted to pursue higher tiers, etc.)

MATs are generally the type of programs/degree that is part of a certification program.
aloha_ackbar

Post by aloha_ackbar »

Sorry, should have been more specific. Many upper tier schools will prefer/require you to have a western certificate, while an M.Ed alone (without a credential) can be acceptable at many lower tier schools.
mickydenn

Post by mickydenn »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and IS teaching.

I would like information about PsyGuy's statement that "a PGCEi is the most feasible distance learning option. Its generally accepted as a working credential in lower tier ISs and you can use it to apply for a professional credential in the US and then apply for QTS". I recently obtained the PGCEi and would love to know how to gain QTS status. Please share how one could go about this; which professional certification in the U.S.? who to contact etc...

Thank you all!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Mickydenn - are you a US citizen? That might directly impact your ability to do this.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mickydenn

DC:

1) You will want to begin by applying for certification through the DC (District of Columbia) OSSE (Office of the State Superintendent Education). You will want to find the page for "Educators Prepared Outside of the United States"
http://osse.dc.gov/service/educators-pr ... ted-states

2) DC uses transcript - to determine eligibility. To begin you will need to have your PGCEi and your undergraduate degree granting institution transcript evaluated by a NACES organization.
http://www.naces.org/

3) Assuming your certification area sought is congruent with your field of undergraduate study (meaning you have no deficiencies), OSSE will accept your PGCEi as meeting the professional education requirements.

4) You will have to meet the DC testing requirements by completing three PRAXIS tests: 1) Core academic knowledge. 2) PLT (Principals of Learning and Teaching) a meds/peds exam. 3) Content area exam in your teaching field.
http://www.ets.org/praxis

5) Lastly you will need to submit a successful CRB clearance which will be conducted by the FBI, which may (very likely) produce a null file and OSSE will request an enhanced DBS or equivalent.

Hawaii is also an option, but you need three years of teaching experience (and ESOL instruction will not count), otherwise without three years experience you can get a 3 year initial certification in which time you must teach successfully for three years, it is non-renewable, so you only get one chance.

Connecticut is another option, but you must have two too three years of previous professional teaching experience (ESOL instruction will not count).

Other states may also have suitable options, a number of states (mainly the south and central states) have been very desperate to find teachers and have started recruiting DTs from India and the Philippines. These may be other pathways.

The advantage of the DC route is the transcript - option, OSSE will accept either a professional credential (such as QTS) or transcript - (academic coursework).

After you obtain the DC or other US state certification you can apply for full QTS as an OTT
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-t ... nd-the-usa
mickydenn

Post by mickydenn »

Thank you very much PsyGuy! Appreciated! I'll be looking to do this in due course.

Btw, I'm not a US citizen; I'm Irish.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

MickeyDenn, if you are not a US Citizen, my advice is do the Teach Now, which DOES issue certification to Non-US Citizens. The College of New Jersey no longer does this. There is a work around, but it is far easier dealing with DC and Teach Now than New Jersey.

Just my two halalas,

Shad
mickydenn

Post by mickydenn »

Thanks Shad! Researching this now.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mickydenn

DC (which Teach Now also uses) does not have a citizenship requirement. There is no need to pursue Teach Now, you already have a qualification, and Teach Now would just be a repeat of your PGCEi.

TCNJ and NJ no longer has a long term viable foreign credential. The 5 year non-citizen standard credential can not be renewed without evidence of obtaining US citizenship.

Hawaii does not require citizenship to be issued a credential, however the cases I know of the IT was sponsored by a local DS. The big issue is getting HTSB to either substitute for the social security number requirement or provide you a letter to apply for a non-employment social security number. This requirement is not an issue of course for an IT that is hired with an appropriate visa to work in a local DS. The SSN application is easy, its getting the letter that is a challenge. A suggestion that has been accepted by HTSb in the past is using an EIN which doesnt require a letter, you can just use the EIn number and not e on the application that it is an EIN not SSN. Submitting the application is free, there is no fee until Hawaii informs you of the result and is prepared to issue you a credential.

Connecticut also does not require citizenship for issuance of a credential, but their regulatory authority has almost no experience with foreign credentials that arent sponsored by a local authority. There would very likely be a steep learning curve, and they are likely going to ask you "why". It is the least desirable of the options.

DC is the preferred option, followed by Hawaii (the cost of applying is little more than postage), then NJ (The non-citizen standard is still a standard, that you may be able to go back to DC with) followed lastly by Connecticut (which would give you 18 years of combined certification).
mickydenn

Post by mickydenn »

Thanks again PsyGuy! Your post gives me more encouragement (even if I don't understand all the acronyms yet!).