Shipping Containers

koda

Shipping Containers

Post by koda »

Hi- I know this has been answered (probably a million times), but I can't find the thread. I am thinking that this summer when I go back overseas, I'll pack one of those heavy duty boxes as extra luggage to be checked rather than a bag. I will have 2 duffel suitcases, which I love - but I know there are these box containers. Some teachers at my last school used them with much success. My difficulty lies in I don't know what to call them - if I google what I'm calling them here, I get pallets and other such nonsense. I need them to not be oversized. Thanks!
trebleclef

Re: Shipping Containers

Post by trebleclef »

We are big fans of the Rubbermaid Rough Totes. They are manageable without being too cumbersome, and sturdy yet flexible enough to withstand enthusiastic baggage handlers. We wrap them with duct tape; bring packing tape/duct tape with you to the airport to rewrap them, as you may be asked to cut the tape and open them for inspection when you check in for your flight.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Just brought one back yesterday, we also use the soft sided "Rubbermate" type boxes with great success. We use zip ties through holes drilled in the corners with great success.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I used two large boxes from U-Haul instead of suitcases. I reinforced all the corners and edges with packing tape and they held up well going and coming.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

Are you thinking of KUBOX?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Use 4 cubes from U-Haul or Budget. These are great - they meet size requirements, they can fit in a bunch of stuff, and you can cut down the sides to make everything fit to weight. Then packing tape wrap and then duck tape wrap, with big paper name/address signs packing taped on each side.

Just my two halalas.

shad
koda

Post by koda »

These were what the teachers at my school had! Thanks! ...Do you by chance know which size you use?

trebleclef wrote:
> We are big fans of the Rubbermaid Rough Totes. They are manageable without
> being too cumbersome, and sturdy yet flexible enough to withstand
> enthusiastic baggage handlers. We wrap them with duct tape; bring packing
> tape/duct tape with you to the airport to rewrap them, as you may be asked
> to cut the tape and open them for inspection when you check in for your
> flight.
trebleclef

Post by trebleclef »

We use both the 18 gallon and 31 gallon sizes.
Happy relocating!