Which tier - 2 or 3?

bridge

Which tier - 2 or 3?

Post by bridge »

I was wondering which tier Psyguy or others might give to the following school? (I will not give its name or location).

School of just under 500 students PreK to 12 in a city center. (Popular city with lots to do - not cheap, but not expensive).
Officially no local students, although some (about 30%) dual nationals. Students come from businesses, NGOs, UN agencies and embassies / consulates.
Teachers / Admin - almost all (90%) OH, and all certified with 4+ years experience. Mainly US / Can / Aussie mix.
Runs PYP, IGCSE and IBDP. DP APS = 31/32 most years. CIS and NEASC accredited.
IT Package: 33-44k net, plus housing (ok but not great), local private healthcare (v. good, but local), flight home every 2 years + other small benefits. No retirement.
Claims to be non profit, but owned by a larger corporation, and very much feels for profit. PD available for IB programs, otherwise all in-house. The admin try hard, but the corporation thing means that turnover is about 1/3 faculty & admin each year. Faculty & Admin, when they leave, often go on to great tier 1 / Elite schools (going by posts on this board).
Last edited by bridge on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor

Re: Which tier - 2 or 3?

Post by Taylor »

Hmmm sounds like a solid tier 2 to me.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Tier 3
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

1/3 leave every year! Lord! Tier 4!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@reisgio

Poo is poo, we dont need to really make distinctions between poo and smellier poo.
sitka

Post by sitka »

Tier 2B
bridge

Post by bridge »

Indeed. The reason I asked is because many of the things that make up the school would mark it up as a higher tier school.
a) The students are all (or at least mostly) genuine international students.
b) The teachers are all certified and experienced.
c) It runs proper IB programs, and relatively successfully. (and it is CIS / NEASC accredited)
d) The admin up to HoS level are all OH, not locals.

All of these are things that when looking at PsyGuy's / other people's tier definitions, would be positives.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Not enough info. Which continent and which part of that continent. And is it a capital/major city?
bridge

Post by bridge »

Yes, it's a major city in a middle income country - not in China or the ME. Lots of tourists, although not a lot of expats. Cost of living similar to Mexico City.
Unusually few int schools for the size of the city (1 US, 1 Brit and 1 IB. This school would count as the IB school. All of them about 500 students.)
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

That doesn't help. Sorry, can't help.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@bridge

There isnt a tier 2B

Tier status is only valid and reliable within a region, it does not transfer across regional boundaries (what constitutes a region is a separate issue). You can take a region such as Switzerland and find the tier 1, 2, and 3 ISs have international student populations, all ITs are certified and experienced, have accredited curriculum programs and mostly western leadership. It doesnt change that Switzerland still has a 3rd tier.