Finding a position independently

EllieSLP

Finding a position independently

Post by EllieSLP »

Hi all,

I was wondering how many people on here have secured positions without going using agencies like ISS and Search. I've seen a lot of positions that I'm qualified for directly on school sites, but am wondering if I'm at a disadvantage by not being represented by someone.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Finding a position independently

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I've gotten jobs through Search and independently. In my case it also helps that I am in kind of a niche field (SPED) and have applied directly and been hired by small international special needs schools in Japan and China.

I think you can be at a slight disadvantage being unaffiliated with Search etc as many schools will feel more comfortable hiring through them as they feel (rightly or wrongly) that they are getting somewhat of a known commodity.

On the other hand, if you have the background and the qualifications and know how to network and/or sell yourself then you always have a good chance of finding a good position whether through a recruiter or on your own.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I personally think the affiliation with Search is worth the cost. Fairs are a whole other topic and I think they are becoming less and less necessary, but getting registered with one of the agencies in my opinion is definitely something that helps.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We have always used Search, but we go for jobs ourselves. We have seen jobs listed on Search and had schools tell us they're not available, and seen jobs on school websites that are not on Search. I like the fair access and we use the database a lot (with a grain of salt as to the numbers) but we pursue jobs directly through schools as well. We do always tell them that we are connected with Search as it's an easy place to access confidential recommendations. I'm not sure how I would handle that. I don't think that the cost to register with Search is that big of a deal, considering the decisions that you're making in overseas jobs. We were cold-called by the first school we worked at, used the job fair for the 2nd job, and went independent for the 3rd one.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The more experienced an IT (in IE) the less reliance and need there is for premium agencies. As ITs move up the tiers the pool of desirable ISs is well known and ITs preference narrow.
In general you benefit the most from a premium agency when an IT has a very broad preference and range in ISs. If your looking/open too anywhere for a vacancy a premium agency is going to save you time in your vacancy search and save you convenience in having your confidential references available without having to have your referees write countless letters. In addition you have access to major recruiting fairs with a wide range of ISs and recruiters.
If you have a very focused or restricted vacancy search (IE your only interested in one country or a small region or your fixated on only a top tier IS). A premium agency isnt going to provide an exhaustive search and your only going to get access to a handful of ISs.

You are not at a disadvantage by applying directly through an ISs recruiting portal compared to applying through a premium agency. The preference is to apply directly, as many ISs now require their own application or want more documentation than the premium agency provides. A premium agency application is more work for an IS and recruiter than a direct application. When you apply through a premium agency the IS receives an email with a link to your profile. Then someone has to login and access that profile and print it to add to the intake pool.
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Thanks everyone for your advice. Since my field is extremely specialized and I do have a lot of experience and a decent network, I think I will continue to go at it on my own. I will post if I receive any offers.