Riyadh - safety

shadowjack

Re: Riyadh - safety

Post by shadowjack »

Planning an exit as in using your time in Saudi to get financial affairs in order, financial plan in place, in preparation for the day when (a) you decide to exit; or (b) your school decides to exit you, with or without your knowledge.

(b) happened to several friends of mine over the years, which threw them for a loop. One set of friends it was one week and gone!
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

That is the exit strategy I was talking about - come to Saudi with a plan - I will stay x years, I will not take a job paying less than $x so I will aim to save $x - once that total is reached I will a) leave, b) review the situation and renew for another year. Its not a place many could face staying until retirement - IMHO.
Family needs will push me from Saudi in the next few years but I don't rule out a 2 year return in future if the opportunity arises to make extra coin as retirement approaches. If it wasn't for the coin I wouldn't be here. Despite its many faults Saudi isn't Egypt (for example) where the coin isn't even there to make it a consideration.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I liked Saudi. I could have been out every night, I went to many official functions with Mrs. S, was out of the cities lots and found there was always something to do. But...no small kids, own vehicle, multiple exit, access to embassies. It makes a world of difference.
Nomad68

Post by Nomad68 »

@shadowjack...which is why my experience here is so different - I have small kids, a trailing spouse, no vehicle, no multi-exit visa and no embassy functions. Local school choices are not ideal for expat kids and that is the big push factor. For me it is a grind so I keep my eye on the prize and wish my time away which is why for me it isn't a long term location option.