Is A Bird in the Hand Really Worth Two in the Bush?

MamfeMan

Is A Bird in the Hand Really Worth Two in the Bush?

Post by MamfeMan »

I'm not sure if that's the appropriate cliche to use or not, but anyway.

My wife and I have interviewed with four schools, and got a job offer from one. It is a small school, in a 'hard-ship' post (nothing we haven't done before), not much money, but it would be stress-free and easy, in terms of the teaching. That being said, it isn't at the top of our list. Of the other three schools, we were turned down by one, and are waiting to hear from the other two, but I'm not expecting much.

My assumption is, at this point, recruiters are going to wait until after holiday break, around the Bangkok fair, to start the recruiting in earnest again. While we'd love to go to a fair, we can't because of reasons beyond our control, which- at this point- I'm assuming might hurt our chances.

So do we suck it up and take the job we've been offered, or hope within the next two months that something else comes up? (Science/Elementary w/one dependent). I'm just thinking there might be couple of bigger birds in the bush than the tiny thing we've got a hold of now.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Short Answer:
Pass and Wait, this is a bottom tier offer in a hardship region, there are always vacancies like that throughout the year.

Long Answer:
What are your priorities and options (do you have jobs now)? You claim this appointment will be stress free, but do you really think being broke throughout the contract is going to keep it stress free? The whole weekend dining in bottle of vino and pasta gets old. Working and waiting to go to work gets depressing because you cant afford to do anything or go anywhere.
Hardship Post are hardships not because of sporadic or occasional inconvenience or frustrations with a new culture, EVERY location has those issues, its the day to day grinding of your soul against the environment. Do you want that, not do you want that compared to an offer, but is that how you want to live? There is a reason those regions have large turnover and a reputation for runners, the joy/elation of having someone (an IS) want you, very, very, very quickly fades under those conditions.

ISs and recruiting leadership are on Holiday but its going to speed up quickly once New Years passes. While Jan-Feb is the peak of recruiting, recruiting happens year round, there will still be hardship regions and lower tier ISs with vacancies in Spring and Summer.
If your with a premium agency already with an active profile its not to late to go to a fair, not that youd do better but it would provide you peace of mind.

THE GOOD:

Take the position, then breath easily for the next 9 months, its one thing you dont need to pay attention to for quite some time, giving you the focus to do other things and start planing your departure, study the language, make contacts, talk to property agents. Some of the greatest experiences are found in unlikely places, this could be one of them and if it is, it will be because you made it so.

THE BAD:

Pass on the position, there are many better vacancies you havent even heard about yet, and there will be available vacancies with similar characteristics well into the spring and summer. You appear very adaptable and flexible, open to broad options and regions. The ITs that are unsuccessful are the ones with very restricted locations or unrealistic expectations. The rule is there is a job for anyone if you will accept anything.

THE UGLY:

Take the offer, and keep looking. Consider this your "safety" offer. It will give you a lot of confidence knowing you have a backup in your pocket. If you dont find anything better then you have this if you do find better, then you can take that appointment and keep the other one for backup, in case something happens. ITs get in trouble because they dont create options for themselves. A contract is not an inducement to servitude or slavery, you are not indentured or indebted to an IS because of a piece of paper. Life is fluid, and smart people change their thoughts and actions when confronted with new data and choices as events unfold and transpire.
Vernacular

Re: Is A Bird in the Hand Really Worth Two in the Bush?

Post by Vernacular »

PsyGuy is correct.
Yantantether

Re: Is A Bird in the Hand Really Worth Two in the Bush?

Post by Yantantether »

Short Answer:
Pass and Wait, this is a bottom tier offer in a hardship region, there are always vacancies like that throughout the year.

This!