Working in Tianjin

Mathman

Working in Tianjin

Post by Mathman »

A few jobs I might've been interested in came up, but they are worryingly close to where the big port explosion was. The two schools with jobs on search are Maple Leaf Teda and Teda International School. From Google maps, they are only a few miles away from the site.

No new information about the clean up seems to be available.

Wonder if people think its worth going there?
sitka

Re: Working in Tianjin

Post by sitka »

The DMLIS Tianjin campus had windows blown out by the explosion, apparently.

Still, lightening rarely strikes twice.
neehow

Post by neehow »

Things have calmed down since explosion - TEDA is fairly isolated from Tianjin. There used to be a subway to travel between the two cities but it's shut down necessitating a 1 1/2 hour bus line for 30 km trip. Tianjin is not a very exciting place - the weather is lousy (cold/dry winters with pollution and hot muggy summers). The selling point is that it's close to Beijing. You will save money as there isn't a lot to do here - will be more than happy to leave in 6 months. I can't speak about the schools you mentioned.
TesolTime

Post by TesolTime »

I live in Tianjin and I want to leave ASAP. Bad weather and lots of pollution from Beijing.
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

I had friends who worked at Maple Leaf and my coworker's husband works at TEDA. Both are decent schools. The bigger issues are the environmental ones. My coworker states that her area is safe (she lives in the zone that was directly impacted), but has taken some extra precautions (lots of water and air filters).