No IGCSE experience, still a chance?

KellyGuy

No IGCSE experience, still a chance?

Post by KellyGuy »

I just saw the other IB thread down the page so I'm changing my post based on other school openings I see.

Do schools in places like BKK (Harrow and others) hire American teachers with no experience with the Cambridge system?

And secondly, isn't the workload a bit heavy at UK-style schools? I'm used to teaching 5 classes and having 2 periods off, but I recall reading that at UK schools, they teach 7 classes in a row. True?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

BSs and ISs that use the British NC do hire US/CAN/AUS ITs it depends on the IS/BS and the level/grade. First, there are a lot of ISs that arent British schools (BSs) they either have a British atmosphere/ethos/style and they may or may not have elements of the British NC (National Curriculum). Second, much like an American AP program they may simply offer external examination for the IGCSE/A levels solely as a testing authority.
Within these ISs you may find varying degrees of implementation. A levels in biology, maths, etc. are congruent/equivalent to AP and DIP/HL. The IS may have a different style, feel and ethos but the material in the classroom between one curriculum and another arey equivalent. Redox in chemistry and factoring a polynomial are the same regardless of the curriculum.

Many BSs would prefer those who have experience with the British NC, however many recruiters and leadership want an IT who can deliver strong results for their students regardless of the curriculum they have experience with.

Well the workload recently in UK maintained DSs has become really high, yes they can be assigned to teach 7 courses consecutively on a daily basis and its not uncommon, but a UK maintained DS is very different from a BSO. You will likely have several prep periods in a day.