Criminal Record Check - Where and how long?

gemmabean

Criminal Record Check - Where and how long?

Post by gemmabean »

I've recently signed a contract for my first IT job. I've been asked to provide a criminal record check. How do I get this done as quickly and reputably as possible ? Are there different prices available at different vendors? How long does it usually take? I have no criminal record so this is just a formality.

TIA!!
shadowjack

Re: Criminal Record Check - Where and how long?

Post by shadowjack »

It depends on where you live, gemmabean.

In Canada you go to your local RCMP or police station. In the US your local police department or FBI. In the UK, I would imagine your local police station.

Even if nobody there can do it, they can direct you to where you need to go.

Expect time span to be variable. I once needed my CRC (criminal record check) and the local police department said it would be a month. I went to the RCMP the next jurisdiction over and had it in a day. I then knew where to go and used that branch again for my last CRC when I switched jobs.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Congrats! It probably will depend on what state you are currently living in. Much of the self-requested background check process in the states has been outsourced to private contractors.

The FBI page is a good starting place:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ident ... channelers
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

This depends on where you are and what the IS wants. There are generally 3 types of CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) checks:

1) The lowest is a "local" clearance also called a letter of good conduct. It is done at your local police station, in many countries. It is a name based (actually name, NIN, DOB) check of local records which may include, traffic, and minor offenses in addition to major offenses, arrests, etc. This is usually the cheapest though not necessarily the fastest, though its likely to be the least involved, as you can often download the required form, and post it to the agency with payment.

2) State or regional CRB checks are mostly limited to the US, at the state level. Your state has a law enforcement authority that handles state CRB checks. These often are either name based searches or fingerprint searches. The finger print searches cost more and typically take longer, and require more work, since you must have your prints either scanned by a provider or rolled and then mailed and scanned by the agency. Processing time is often weeks to a couple months, with longer for the fingerprint based check. I am unaware of regional checks by the provinces in CAN or the territories in AUS.

3) National CRB checks, these are performed by national police agencies. The RCMP in CAN, the FPS in AUS, the FBI in the USA. In the UK the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) is a Home Office Division that collects and aggregates data from various sources. These CRB checks can take weeks to months.
AUS offers name and finger print checks but the type of disclosure is fixed based on the category of the applicant asked (If you select 'Teacher' all offenses are disclosed. If you select 'Overseas employment/Visa' only unspent offenses are disclosed).
CAN CRB checks are processed by fingerprints only and have two levels of disclosure, the standard check and the enhanced check (includes vulnerable sector check). The enhanced check the one required for educators in CAN, however your IS may only request the standard check (or they likely dont know).
USA CRB checks are conducted by the FBI or an authorized channeler (a third . organization/company that is authorized to provide criminal record checks). There is only one level of CRB, and will include and disclose any and all offenses in the NCIC, the CRB requires fingerprints. Some states will offer the opportunity to obtain a state and National (FBI) CRB at the same time requiring only one application (a higher fee) and one set of finger prints.
UK CRB checks are available at three levels: the Standard disclosure essentially contains unspent convictions, reprimands, and warnings. The enhanced check contains the same information but includes any relevant information collected in law enforcement agencies that is relevant to the application. The third is the enhanced with lists which also contains a check of the various barring lists such as "list 99". You cant request your own DBS check, an employer or other agency has to request one for you, even though you are the one provided the DBS certificate. There are a number of agencies that will facilitate getting a DBS check for you, the other option is you can apply for a basic check through Disclosure Scotland.

All of these options have levels of authentication, the most common being an "apostile" which is a Hague convention treaty process that provides two . verification that a document is authentic. These can be obtained from a variety of governmental offices depending on the region. The apostile process can add weeks or months to the process.

Another option that ITs have used with various amounts of success is CRB certifications obtained by various private companies and organizations that involve conducting an internet search of various databases and then creating their own letter and certificate and seal with a notarization, which could then be submitted for an apostille. Unless your IS specifically recommends this or requests it, I would advise against such a CRB.
gemmabean

Post by gemmabean »

Thanks so much for all of the responses. Much appreciated!!