Job postings

martalin

Job postings

Post by martalin »

Hello,

I've been applying to schools directly on their websites or through Schrole. While a good percentage of South American and Asian schools have jobs posted already, I have noticed that a very small percentage of European schools (Western and Eastern) have jobs posted. Is there a reason for this? Is it common?
shadowjack

Re: Job postings

Post by shadowjack »

Other schools operate under local laws which are much looser in many regards. Plus, teachers have to go recruiting and it becomes obvious in September, October, November who is going recruiting because they are listing themselves on Search or ISS or activating their CV on TIEonline or TeacherHorizons. At those schools, you give notice anywhere in between September and mid to late December that you are leaving.

For European schools, as a teacher you can legally and actively pursue other positions without giving notice because the law says you only need to give X amount of time. Many teachers in Europe are trying to stay in Europe, so their vacancies don't come up right now, because the other European schools aren't posting lots of positions. More will open up in the new year. However, turnover at most decent European schools is not high.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In the WE local labor laws and union regulations give ITs much more time to provide notice later in the academic year, or their notice isnt binding until a certain date that is much closer to the end of the academic term. Agree with SJ many ITs are eventually looking towards the WE, its one of the few viable options for a retirement, as such they have much lower turnover and less attrition. ITs dont come to the WE with the intent of two year revolving door appointments. Wait until late spring and you will find thousands of vacancies on TES for WE DSs and ISs.
mamava

Re: Job postings

Post by mamava »

I would think most schools have had their teachers given notice by now, so postings should be very soon up...unless schools are lax about advertising. I've often seen jobs on school websites that are not on Search, and vice-versa. It's a pain, but I always check both when looking for jobs.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mamava

In the WE, most of those intent and notice documents are not binding until much later in the year. Of course ISs try to get as much information as they can and some of those vacancies, such as retirements, etc. are highly reliable.