for profit schools - are there exceptions?

UnCloudy

for profit schools - are there exceptions?

Post by UnCloudy »

I was wondering if there are any exceptions to the "don't work at for profit schools, if you can help it" bit of common wisdom? ACS Egham in the UK has openings and while I'm trying not to be swayed by a slick website, it's tempting to apply. Thoughts? Thank you!
Last edited by UnCloudy on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
fine dude

Re: for profit schools - are there exceptions?

Post by fine dude »

A few schools in Singapore, Japan, and Malaysia pay alright and working conditions are not bad. However, majority of 'good' schools in Europe are non-profit. The problem with UK schools is taxes and exorbitant rents, especially in London metropolitan area.

I'd read the reviews in the paid section and even contact current faculty before emailing my application.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Thank you, fine...the paid side is where I got kind of hopeful that maybe some for-profits were different. that the money for a teaching couple is do-able. I've worked for a marketing machine before, however, and don't love it...

Patience, patience, patience, right? I really hate recruiting season.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

I find the "don't work for for-profit schools" a bit simplistic. The best ones are well run, well resourced, nice places to work with good benefits packages. Some not for profits are ropey, to say the least.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

There are a few for profit schools and chains that are quite respectable and better than many non-profit schools that have inept leadership. With that said, (school name removed by moderator - we ask you not post school evaluation type material to the forum) I would do your research an demand to speak to several current and former employees - both those provided by the school and those you can contact on your own.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not really, there are for profits that are well run and resourced, but thats how things are when everything is going fine. When the steal hits the grindstone with a for-profit, revenue is going to win over education. Thats how for-profits work.
Chadekni

Post by Chadekni »

In my (limited) experience, it can be perfectly fine working for a 'for profit' school.

As long as they leave me alone to do my teaching and I get access to the resources I request, then I could care less about the ownership/governance of the school. The only problem is that it is hard to gauge this kind of thing before you arrive - you always get promised the earth during recruitment.

For example, at one school I was told I would be able to order a significant amount of new resources to help start a new program. When push came to shove though, this request was put on the back burner due to money/business constraints. It took a bit of a fight and half a year of running on empty (resources wise) before I could start getting what I needed to get the job done right.

In short, if you find the right fit school that lets you teach the way you want, it doesn't matter what tier it is, or if it is for profit.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The thing is, Chdekni, that there are far more non-profits that fit that bill than for profits, where the owner, or his descendant/inheritor(s) often need to pad their pocket.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

I worked at a for-profit in North Africa for three years. Some bits were a nightmare, the students were crazy, and resources were a bit tight. That said, the owners were decent people, and two of them of them are still in my FaceBook account. For-profit may not be the ideal, but at least you know the focus. I work at a non-profit in Asia now with multiple campuses, 10,000 students, and have know idea what the focus is. If I could transport the students I have now back to the for-profit, I would gladly do so.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Hmm, thank you for your replies everyone. I think that I'm at the stage where I am stretching the limits of what we are looking for because I'm nervous about where we will end up next year. I'm going to continue to aim high and leave the for-profits alone for now. Is it Friday yet?
sitka

Post by sitka »

The biggest difference is that for-profit schools tend to be constantly expanding and looking for more students. This often means they take students when the program/school is not appropriate for that particular student (due to motivation and or English ability) and it is the teacher that essentially inherits that mess.
PIEGUY

Post by PIEGUY »

“Private education is not fair… Those who provide it know it. Those who pay for it know it. Those who have to sacrifice in order to purchase it know it. And those who receive it know it, or should.” (Alan Bennett)
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

In Asia, some of the larger and better run 2nd tier for-profit schools would be decent places to work (I can't name them for fear of being censored or banned). The problem is that in the same markets, the non-profit, tier 1 schools are excellent places to work. Most conclude that if they are going to be in that location, they would want to work for the best school and have the best lifestyle and savings opportunities.

When you look at the smaller cities, there are decent non-profits here and there, but the for-profit schools are horrible without exception.