Job Fair or not?

elevate88

Job Fair or not?

Post by elevate88 »

I have signed up to one of the upcoming job fairs and probably will attend.

Some of my teaching colleagues who originally intended on heading along have now decided against attending.
They seem to question their competitiveness at the fair and doubt a job could be got in their roles at one of the great schools.

I haven't seen many statistics about job fairs but wondered how many registered candidates usually back out of attending these events for one reason or another.

Anybody else out there questioning their upcoming attendance at the upcoming job fairs?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends on the fair, dump fairs, and later dump fairs have the highest close to 50% for the summer shuffle in Bethesda. The super fairs have the lowest with the BKK fair having the lowest since many attendees have significant investment (and why it has some of the biggest drama melt downs in a recruiting year). On average its about 15% (again varies by fair) and why there are usually late invites available.

Thats a common dream, and unrealistic/inflexible expectations are the single greatest factor in an unsuccessful vacancy search for a candidate IT. Those candidates approaching IE with logistical deal breakers, or lavish expectations, or believing they will get their dream vacancy for their first posting, or are fixated on a specific location, those are the ones frustrated and leaving fairs empty handed and with a new and heavier balance on their bank cards. If your a new candidate to IE and your goal is one of the elite ISs you either need a good deal of good luck, or connections that can give you an "in".
UnCloudy

Re: Job Fair or not?

Post by UnCloudy »

Yeah, we accepted invited to Search London and are really hoping we don't have to go. It's just SO much money and the timing is awful - a full week off work to travel there from where we are.

I think we'll only go if we have strong interest beforehand, and meetings already lined up. Otherwise we'll back out :(
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

How much time do you guys get off from your current school to go recruiting?
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

I think we earn two days the first year and a day each year thereafter. What about you?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

If you give notice early enough you get 5 days.

One of these years I'ma gonna take me a vacation to Bangkok!

Or, er... Boston in the middle of the winter.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Eehhhh, there is no looking cute for a winter fair in Boston :p Though I guess I'm in for wool tights, etc. if I get stuck going to London. Jeez, I really don't want to go to a fair!!!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I kind of do because I am sort of cutthroat competitive. You should see me playing Risk.

Anyways, I don't have to think about that for a few years.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

I get what you're saying about wanting to win the fair, too...and I absolutely get that way. The cost from where we are is just really stinking prohibitive this time around. I think that between us we are looking at $5-6K all told. Bleh!

Happy Wednesday :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I found going to a fair an invaluable experience I saw people land jobs right away or before the fair. I saw people land no jobs. I saw people get no interviews. I saw people get 10 interviews. It was an interesting experience. In the end, I'm glad I went. Even if you don't get a job right away, many times it leads to a job.

That said - here's hoping you land a job before the fair.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

I found the London Search Fair completely over-complicated by the organizers and the hotel itself was not very pleasant. That said, I had several interviews, two of which led to job offers. Took neither, and held out for the right fit, which didn't get posted until after the big fairs but was in a better location and paid better than either offer in London. Don't let the recruiters make you settle. Only you can decide what is right for you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The problem with those "recruitment leave" policies, to get those few days, you have give notice of intent well before you have an offer, or other opportunities, and the ISs want that, they want you feel insecure that at a fair you have nothing to go back too if you leave with nothing.

One of the most important secondary aspects of attending a fair like BKK is the opportunity to network and build face time with recruiters and leadership at ISs you would not have an opportunity to talk with or meet at all.

Ive do not stay at the recruiting event properties for either BOS or LON, I do at BKK.
senator

Post by senator »

Job fairs are just a forum for salespeople to sell themselves to other salespeople. Schmoozing at its best - or worst.

But I still advise you to go to a few. For the entertainment value, if nothing else. You'll enjoy seeing all of those "cutthroat competitive" types (why would anyone admit to being competitive at something that is supposed to be fun, like playing Risk?) It's like a nature show:

"And here we see the aggressive female lugging her meek and submissive mate, stalking her prey. Watch as she thrusts resumes into the hands of startled school heads..."

It's a lesson in the sociology of the herd. You'll love it. Hell, you may even get a job.

"
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

A little self-deprecating humour...
senator

Post by senator »

Nothing personal. I was making fun of that type of people, mainly. These always make life not fun for most of the other faculty. Another reason I now teach in public school.