3Ss - Safety + Savings + Satisfaction

fine dude

3Ss - Safety + Savings + Satisfaction

Post by fine dude »

In light of recent global events, which countries/cities (not schools) would be on your list that would meet all these three criteria?
Last edited by fine dude on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
marina

Re: 3S - Safety + Savings + Satisfaction

Post by marina »

Europe
Switzerland (Poland and/or Western Ukraine if single male)

Africa
Ethiopia

Asia
Vietnam/Japan

South America
Chile (Brazil if single and male)

North America
Idaho
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

It seems like there are tons of places. All over south east Asia and east Asia, some places in Europe, some of the Middle East, select places in Africa and South America. Unless you live in a region controlled by ISIS, I don't think that recent global events have changed anything.

Can you give us more details about what your concerns are, "in light of recent events?"
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well Paris has some current "issues" of convenience as a result of recent public safety and security events.

In general you can have things good, fast or cheap, sometimes you get lucky and you can get two. This is a similar scenario. I dont think theres anywhere you can get all three without some astrisks or creative definitions of those terms. My top choice would be TASIS in Montagnola/Switzerland.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Japan (and near Tokyo in particular) would be my top vote. The only * in PsyGuy's scenario would be that it needs to be at a good to very good school (and being a teaching couple would also help greatly). To me, it doesn't really get much better than that. Safety is probably the best in the world (knock on wood), great infrastructure, potential lifestyle and student demographics take care of the satisfaction and good savings is still possible (again, depending on the school and/or being part of a teaching couple).

Many places in Europe will tick some of the boxes but savings may suffer (and if you can't afford to travel or do some of the finer things in Europe your satisfaction will also be diminished). Also, these days safety or at least your perception of it may take some knocks if you are in Europe during these crazy times.

Bottom line is that almost every school/location is going to be a compromise.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

Tokyo (and Kyoto) would be my very close runner up.
ffmary

Post by ffmary »

Completely concur that Brazil is THE place for a single male teacher in South America, or for that matter, in the Americas. I would also argue that there are some great savings and safety and satisfaction options in Eurasia (Azerbaijan) is my favorite.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

TASIS Lugano is one of the lowest payers in Switzerland, I would go for Lausanne, Geneva or Zurich for all of the above. Top schools in Thailand will also do.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Thank you all. Some interesting options there.
@nikkor, I was referring to general unpredictability in the wake of recent terror attacks in parts of Asia, Africa, and W.Europe.

As someone recently said we are not safe anywhere unless we live on a remote island. I do understand it's all relative and we gotta be mindful of our surroundings.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

fine dude wrote:
> Thank you all. Some interesting options there.
> @nikkor, I was referring to general unpredictability in the wake of recent
> terror attacks in parts of Asia, Africa, and W.Europe.
>
> As someone recently said we are not safe anywhere unless we live on a
> remote island. I do understand it's all relative and we gotta be mindful of
> our surroundings.

well..........you know, global warming might not make that island very safe either!

v.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Dehydration on a remote island is just as serious a safety threat as anything else.
senator

Post by senator »

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia has it all, plus a great EPF (pension plan). AND hot weather.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@senator
What about the Ringgit taking a plunge? The oil prices might even drop to $20 per barrel by the end of next year.
senator

Post by senator »

I never worry about things I can't control, especially foreign exchange rates, which can just as easily reverse course. Malaysia is cheap, great health care, great food, great travel, cheap Air Asia flights, and with the EPF, a great money-maker.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

Not sure I agree with Japan in terms of safety- what about natural disasters and the contamination from nuclear plant explosions in food, water and soil? I personally would not want to live there because of the food issues. I believe it is also an expensive place to live so not sure about savings potential.