Would you ever go on strike?

CorkMunich

Would you ever go on strike?

Post by CorkMunich »

Based on recent events at an international school in southern Germany, the question I ask is "would you ever go on strike?" at an international school. Has it happened many places before?
shadowjack

Re: Would you ever go on strike?

Post by shadowjack »

Personally, I would not. Would I not volunteer as much? Maybe. But go on strike? No. Other's opinions might vary, especially when they are in a country where something like that might work. Other places in the world, you might find yourself trapped when you try to leave because the school has launched a legal action against you and all other strikers and you arrive at the airport to find that your exit visa is denied. And, likely, because you are not coming back next year, you won't have much money left IN the country. In that situation, in 99.9% of the cases, your embassy is not going to be a huge help to you because you are governed by the laws of the country you are in, not your home country.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In general, strikes in IE are limited to ISs that are regulated (have unions) or have strong tenure policies. Otherwise, you cant strike, since leadership can just dismiss/terminate employees who fail/refuse to work, even in large numbers.