Early job offer

kjbar

Early job offer

Post by kjbar »

For those of you following my post about interviewing with a school in Caracas, as well as another South American school, here's the latest update. I had the second interview with the director of the other school (not in Caracas) this evening and...

I've been offered the job! I told the director she'd have my decision within 48 hours. My question is this--as a first time overseas teacher, should I accept an offer this early? The director mentioned that I was the highest rated of all of the candidates interviewed. I'm not sure if that means other schools would find me as desirable or not. I'd be bummed if I got better offers later on. Since the school is in South America, the salary is a bit low (only a couple thousand less than what I'm making now), but I'd still be able to save four times what I'm currently saving here in the U.S. each year and it's tax free.

Reminders about me: single, female elementary-certified teacher; six years experience; Master's degree; experience working with English language learners. This job is for a U.S Department of State assisted school, with about 20% American students, 70% host country kids, and the remainder from other countries. The school seems to be considered the best within the country.
Last edited by kjbar on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
joanveronica

Re: Early job offer

Post by joanveronica »

Congratulations on the job offer! I have no IT experience but am curious to see what experienced ITs have to say. We have applied to jobs not in our first choice areas, so we may be in the same situation one day.
jimmycajun

Post by jimmycajun »

Congrats! great to hear people are getting offers.

I think it comes down to what your looking to get out of your next job/school. Since you have applied to a couple jobs in SA it seems like that is a desirable location for you..so check that box. As you mentioned, even though the salary is lower than what youre making now, saving potential will be more...check. It sounds like one of the better schools in SA, not only to start off at, but to work at in general...check. If you do hold out for a different offer, what would you want that to look like? Would it be drastically different than this one?
Your posts indicate that your reservations stem from safety and the fact that it is an early offer. If you can feel comfortable about the city in terms of safety, and are happy with all the other aspects of the offer, Id say go for it - early offer or not.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

Congratulations on the job offer! I think the above poster gave some good advice.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you feel you would do better financially at the other SA school, contact them and let them know you have a job offer and then see what their response is. If not, if you are happy with the offer, take it. Consider what you might feel if other job offers come in. Then again, you are not guaranteed offers and you might not get another one, despite what the first school tells you.

Above all, congrats.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Congratulations!! With an offer on the table, don't hold out for Caracas of all places. Hold out for something "better" if you must, but not Caracas. Good luck with whatever you decide :)
kjbar

Post by kjbar »

I wasn't planning on holding out for Caracas, believe me! The school that offered the job and the school in Caracas are the only two with which I've had interviews, so it doesn't seem like I have any other leads currently.

I've applied to schools in all different regions, as there were only a handful countries to where I didn't want to go. I figured I needed to be flexible since this is my first time applying to teach internationally.

I'd hoped to find a job with better pay, but since the savings potential is higher than where I currently am, maybe that's not such a huge consideration, especially as a younger person. Since it seems like a good school and a good fit for me, the director has said she wants me (and even upped my pay a bit by adding on extra years of experience), my questions were answered well, and the fact that I don't currently have other leads, I'm leaning toward accepting the job. I know I have to get my start somewhere!
overseaslife

Post by overseaslife »

kjbar - if the other school is in Venezuela you could save up to 70% of your salary and still live big and travel each holiday. People tend to focus on the salary number and forget that what it comes down to is the cost of living. You might get a big salary in some places (like Switzerland say) but cost of living,taxes and if you have to pay your own bills and housing and suddenly you have nothing left.

Do your HW right now.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Pass on the offer. A few observations:

1) This is still early, S.A. and L.A. ISs tend to make early offers as they know they are competitive with compensation packages in other regions.

2) Be very conservative in regard to savings. Many new ITs have a higher expenditure cost early in their career at a new post into they adapt to local economies and systems. You will find yourself paying a lot more than average for all kinds of goods and services to begin with.

3) You were not the highest rated candidate. There was too much time between your interview and offer (based on your posting dates). recruiters dont rate candidates after interviews they rate them before the interviews, and interview them in order of those rating until they identify someone they can work with and that candidate accepts the position. The rule is when an IS likes you they ACT like they like you, they dont play games, they move.

4) What are your real priorities? Checking positives that dont mean much or arent worth much to you, is an exercise in triviality. Look at your negatives, is safety really a deal breaker for you? If it is dont let a lack of options know dictate your decisions. @senator is really right in this regard, you dont need to settle. (Period)

5) If you do accept, you should stop looking if your not going to pursue additional or further recruiting opportunities. As such you wont get "better" offers in the future that would depress you.

6) You can always accept this offer and continue searching for a better offer or a more desirable location. Consider this offer your safety appointment.
kjbar

Post by kjbar »

Psyguy,
In regards to your 3) So a turn around time of being offered the job at the end of the interview with the director is too slow? Additionally, if you say that I wasn't the highest rated candidate, but the director did say that, then does that mean the director is lying? After the first interview with the elementary principal, I was told I was the highest rated, so I was rated before my interview with the director. I was the first person to be offered a job. In regards to the comment about safety, this school is located in a safe country, so that's not really one of my issues with taking this job. I appreciate your feedback in thinking I should pass on the offer, I'm just curious about some clarification of your points, especially if I need to be worried about professional dishonesty. Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kjbar

1) Yes Its too slow, directors dont interview the entire shortlist they interview the recruiters top recommendation and either make an offer or move on and then wait for a reply (acceptance or declination). The time between your first and second interview was just too long.

2) Yes directors lie. They want you to take the offer, and ego stroking is cheap as it costs them nothing. Education has been doing that for decades, give ITs warm fuzzies and certificates instead of something like cash (in all honesty we do the same thing with students).

3) They said everyone was highest rated, what do you expect them to say your the bottom of the stack or your just the next person who hasnt said no yet.

4) I doubt it, you are the "current" candidate to be offered an appointment, very unlikely the first. Again, what do you expect them to say? If you were the first candidate you would ahve had your interview with the principal, and then contacted the same day or early the next day to arrange a discussion with the director. 24/48 hours at most for the first candidate.
steve416

Post by steve416 »

Bumped because I am curious what you chose!
kjbar

Post by kjbar »

steve416,
I told them it was too early for me to make a decision. The director emailed after the job fair to tell me she still has a position open for me and that I should let her know if I'm interested. I've got other interviews lined up, but now I'm feeling wishy-washy since there's still an opening.