East Asian Secondary Math Curriculum in IS's?

MedellinHeel

East Asian Secondary Math Curriculum in IS's?

Post by MedellinHeel »

I am curious how the secondary math works in places like East Asia when the kids are so more advanced than your typical Western kid / curriculum. Do schools teach the same curriculum and most all the kids ace it with a breeze?

Could someone describe the secondary math curriculum for me in those places? Classes / books etc.

Thanks
sitka

Re: East Asian Secondary Math Curriculum in IS's?

Post by sitka »

In my experience, it hasn't been true that "East Asian kids are so more advanced than your typical Western kid". Certainly, the bell curve might be a little to the right - but there are studs and duds in any group of students, especially when a large percent of these students are working in their second language.

Within IB the most difficult math course offered is Further Mathematics, an HL course that covers the 4 possible extensions of Math HL (where only 2 are studied) as well as an additional 2 topics. There is no great demand for this course - in May 2015 only 178 kids sat the exam.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not so much that Asian students are more advanced its that western students are so remedial. A lot of that comes from social factors. Its "cool" to be smart and like math and be good at math in Asia. Motivation is a highly correlated factor with success in any subject.

Further maths is not a popular course but Algebra and calculus are and yes Asian students tend to work less at it and spend less time in mastering the concepts. You dont have the degree of ASP sessions where you focus more on testing strategy as opposed to content mastery and competence. You dont have leadership screaming at you or putting the hammer to you to get scores up so that your IS doesnt "fail". In that regard yes maths is less stressful, less intense, less work.

You generally teach whatever standards and objectives are part of your curriculum, it may be a breeze compared to what you are use to domestically, but it still takes effort and resources.