2016 Search fair stats

jimmycajun

2016 Search fair stats

Post by jimmycajun »

I'm headed to the BKK fair this year for the first time. When I requested an invite, it was more or less based on timing of vacation and the general understanding that the earlier the fair, the better. My net is as wide as it gets (which makes applying a seemingly endless process) so based on location, Im not too concerned about the make up of schools at fairs. However, now that things are picking up with openings, I find myself checking the fair lists twice to see who will be where. I'm really looking forward to BKK but have been looking at what I might be missing by not going to LON or CMB. Here are some stats based on fair info from Search:

BKK: 120 schools, 32 unique to BKK (27%)
LON: 168 schools, 59 unique to LON (35%)
CMB: 153 schools, 67 unique to CMB (44%)

Based on numbers, it doesn't seem like BKK is all that, but considering reputations, that just puts the intangibles into perspective (timing, quality of attendees, etc.). Just curious, for those who have attended fairs, or will be this year, what was your motivation for choosing the fair you did?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your numbers dont address quality. There are for many more third tier ISs than there are elite and top tier ISs. Its a very niche and selective group. Lower tier ISs (the ones of which there are many) dont even bother to recruit or attend the BKK fair, it would be a waste of their time. They would be standing around an empty table and doing online interviews with outside candidates. BKK is for upper tier ISs and the corresponding high value professional class ITs. In addition and lastly, BKK is one of the few events ina year where ITs can get F@F time with recruiters that represent the majority of the 1st and elite tier ISs, if you arent at BKK you dont get to meet them, and dont get the opportunity to sell yourself even if only for a moment. Those moments can have huge value in networking. These schools can get a 1000 applications for a vacancy and its HIGHLY unlikely your application materials if sent digitally will even be seen by a member of senior leadership.