When to bother with Masters

chilagringa

When to bother with Masters

Post by chilagringa »

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out whether to pursue a Masters in Education and am looking for advice.

I am currently working at a tier one, embassy-supported school in Latin America. Pay isn't great, so my goal is to move on from here on 3-4 years and work at one of the high-paying tier one schools in Asia or the Middle East. At that point I will have five years of experience, and MYP experience/training.

I don't have a Masters in education, although I do have one that is related (but not directly in) my subject. I have the opportunity to do one where I am, but that will cut into my already fairly paltry salary. Also, I just don't want to because I have spent so much time in school and education classes often are, quite frankly, a joke.

Considering my goals, should I bother? I should mention that I have no particular interest in the traditionally popular destinations (Europe, Japan, HK, etc.)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If you have a masters already very little will be added by adding another one, especially in Education which tend to be little more than warmed up undergraduate EPP/ITT programs. Unless you were moving into leadership or other specialized area that you werent already trained for such as Counselor, Tech Leader, Librarian, etc. another masters will not significantly add utility to your resume.
Ozymnds24

Re: When to bother with Masters

Post by Ozymnds24 »

Are you already a fully qualified teacher in your home country? If so, then this route sounds like a waste of money, especially as you already have a Masters. Many schools will recognise that previous Masters and increase your salary accordingly. Paying for a second seems a little redundant. I would imagine an additional year of experience in the classroom might be a better investment of time and effort.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Heh... Thank you, guys, for telling me exactly what I wanted to hear.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I should mention that my current school is not paying me on the Masters salary schedule because it's not specifically in my teaching subject. However, my concern is getting HIRED at the top schools, not getting the extra salary for Masters.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Chilagringa,

just a heads up. If you are young, being paid for your masters will easily add a hundred thousand dollars or more to your salary over your teaching career. Just a heads up. When you factor in compound interest if you bank it - it is a no brainer to go somewhere that will accept your masters - or get one that is acceptable.

shad
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

Many candidates at elite tier ISs have a masters degree, but thats more a function of how long they have been a career IT and their experience rather than a marketability requirement. By the time an IT is competitive for an elite tier IS they have been an IT for 10+ years and over that time have or earlier have obtained a masters degree.
There are ITs in elite tier ISs that only have a bachelors degrees, they are a definite minority.

@SJ

I disagree with SJ on the financial incentives of a masters over a bachelors. There are a significant number of ISs that a $100K over a career is reasonable. There are many more where that level of increased earning potential is unrealistic. The average difference between bachelors and masters in IE is a little more than $3K a year, you would have to start very early and have an IE career at such ISs over 30+ years to meet the goal of $100K of additional lifetime earnings. Its doable, its even realistic, but there are a lot of factors such as region and individual IS variables that would be major contributing factors.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I think at this point I can only really call myself young-ish.

Well, I have been offered Masters pay in the past at other schools, so I will have to just hope for the best.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@chilagringa

At 25 you can do anything, and take risks. At 35 (depending on if you have a family) you need to be focused on specific goals. At 45 you need to be moving toward your retirement/exit out plan.