Best place for an infant? Jakarta vs. Tokyo

doughpat

Best place for an infant? Jakarta vs. Tokyo

Post by doughpat »

Hi all,

My wife and I are pregnant with our first child, set to deliver in July. We're considering moving from Jakarta to Tokyo (or even back to the States). I am less-than-thrilled about the idea of going from our very easy life (we are currently without children, living in a large home with low-cost domestic help) to the complete opposite (a new baby in a small home and very costly help, if any at all).

Any advice? We're at an excellent school and almost any change will probably be 'downhill' in terms of the package. But if you've ever been to Jakarta, you'll understand the city takes its toll on you after several years. Thanks for any perspective.
nikkor

Re: Best place for an infant? Jakarta vs. Tokyo

Post by nikkor »

You could consider trying to move to Manila or Bangkok. They are much more livable than Jakarta, but you still get the perks of SEA.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If those were the choices Tokyo, didnt even have to think about it. However the negatives you identify, higher cost of living, smaller living space, and unavailability of domestic help may not be inconsequential to you.

I also strongly agree with your conclusion that a move to Tokyo/JP would likely be a step or slide down. JP is a highly desirable region and very competitive. An appointment would likely come with a significant decline lifestyle and compensation. Outside of housing however, understand that many of the conveniences you pay for in Jakarta are zero cost benefits in Tokyo. The metro transportation system is one of the best in the world. Tokyoites are busy but its a quite non confrontational busy. You can rely more on domestic and local goods as opposed to imports. The advantage of a smaller home is that its much easier to clean and maintain yourself without domestic help.

I strongly believe the key will be what your long term goals are. Tokyo is a great city but the idea of retiring out of Tokyo is rather bleak at anything thats not an elite tier IS. Your saving potential in Tokyo is likely to be low, and you may quickly regret the things you would have to do without to stay long term in Tokyo.