Skype interviews and safety in Caracas

kjbar

Skype interviews and safety in Caracas

Post by kjbar »

Hi everyone,
I have Skype interviews set up with two schools in South America. One of the schools is in Caracas. I have some concerns about security, as well as product shortages. I've read previous posts on this forum about Caracas, but the most recent one was a year ago or so. I've also read the travel warning from the U.S. Department of State. Does anyone have more recent insights as to safety, as well as availability of basics like soap and toilet paper in Caracas? I'm a single female, if that matters.

Additionally, does anyone have tips for a Skype interview? I've never done one before.
jessiejames

Re: Skype interviews and safety in Caracas

Post by jessiejames »

I have a couple of friends who left Caracas at the end of the last school year due to safety issues. I'm sure Venezuela is a wonderful place, but from their stories, I wouldn't do it. You don't have to live in a country where people being shot on your street isn't a one-off. There has to be a better option. When I was job hunting, I must have received 4/5 e-mails from the British School in Caracas (despite politely telling them I wasn't interested in response to the first one) because they are finding it so hard to get people to stay. My advice is to focus on the other interview.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

If you depended on SOS travel advisories, youd never leave the country, they make everywhere sound dangerous (you should read about what some countries tell their citizens about travel to the US). Understand that parts of the US are some of the most dangerous places in the world.
How adventures are you? If you were a single guy Caracas has certain social benefits, if youre into the local population a single woman would maybe benefit socially as well. Safety wise, what your going to find is the typical petty crimes such as pickpocketing, a swiped bag, etc. you find in a desperate and impoverished region. Your IS will have security, your apartment will have security and you can easily afford a taxi/car if your IS doesnt provide you transportation. Otherwise just be a sensible traveler, and your unlikely to have any problems.

I love Venezuela, great country, but it has serious infrastructure issues. The main benefit is that if your paid in USD on the grey market those dollars have VERY, VERY high purchasing power. You can live like royalty in country on the modest salary you will make.
There are basically two markets. The government market fluctuates on what goods are available. So one week theres plenty of rice, but no flour, but that rice is subsidized and costs essentially nothing, because its sold at a cost that the locals can afford which is maybe a $1/day. The second markets are full of all kinds of goods, but they are privately imported and not subsidized by the government so their cost even though very inexpensive by western standards would be unaffordable by the locals. So as long as your not brand loyal or dependent, you should be fine on an IT salary.

For a Skype interview my suggestions are:

1) Ensure your both added to each others contact lists. Ensure you have a clean and fast internet connection.
2) Set up a studio space, neutral background, appropriate height to the camera, somewhere where you wont be interrupted by a cat on your keyboard or loud noises.
3) Good lighting, very important, you dont want to be in shadow and you dont want to be washed out a naturally lit room is best.
4) Dress for an interview, and make sure your fully dressed, you dont want a captain underpants scenario to happen. If in doubt error on the formal and conservative side.
5) Have a copy of your resume and any documents you want to reference in front of you on a tablet, phone, etc.. especially if your going to be talking about a curriculum you dont have a lot of knowledge about.
6) Virtual interviews dont provide as many nonverbal cues, so you need to over emote sometimes, this means putting emotional emphasis on various aspects of your interview.
7) Look at the camera more than the screen. Skype puts the self portrait at the bottom of the screen and if your looking at the interviewer or that little window to your interviewer it appears your looking down, with greatly reduces eye contact and masks facial expressions. This tends to convey several negative messages. You dont need to see the interviewer, they need to see you at your best.
8) When your done with the interview ensure you actually disconnect.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Yeah, no. PsyGuy everything you said would've *maybe* been true a year or two ago, not now. OP, MAKE SURE you talk to more than one teacher who is currently living in Caracas. Talk to the single women who arrived this year. Ask lots and lots and lots of questions. That's all I can really say.
Last edited by UnCloudy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Psyguy's info is woefully incorrect.

Caracas is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Last weekend the official homicide rate stood at 94 deaths. Over a thousand people are murdered every month. And, the violence is not restricted to only a few areas. For years it has been a case of anytime anyplace violent crime.

Shame...Venezuela is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
senator

Post by senator »

A friend of a friend who worked there within the last 3 years called Caracas "Caracastan". That pretty much said it.

Why work in a country that has as high if not higher violent crime rate as the U.S.

And many Latin countries have a big gun culture. Too many schools in the world to risk your or your family's safety.
jimmycajun

Post by jimmycajun »

senator wrote:
> A friend of a friend who worked there within the last 3 years called
> Caracas "Caracastan". That pretty much said it.

Pretty much said what? That you summarized an entire geographical region based on the idea that a country that ends in "stan" is somewhat dangerous? I currently live in a "stan", have spent time in four others, and have never run into a bigger problem than someone short changing you at a shop...which they quickly apologized for once it was pointed out. Regarding safety and stability, the reputation the "stans" have is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to foreign hires. Through my experience, people will go out of their way to ensure your safety rather than to let harm come your way. I can't speak for the situation in Caracas but one should not get put off by statistics. Yes...there may be a high rate of gun crimes/homicide, but does this truly represent the environment you would experience?
senator

Post by senator »

Lighten up, Jimmy. Don't get all phony righteous on me. You know exactly what the connotation was: that Caracas has a fair amount violence and disorder.

Man, some of you people need to get those chips off your shoulders. That's what happens to some people when you spend too many years overseas.
overseaslife

Post by overseaslife »

The irony in all this- is it safer in Paris, Belgium or South America these days? Different types of dangers, but where is safe? Use all the precautions, be aware of where you should go and shouldn't (especially at night). This is the rule of thumb no matter where you live right. We have a volunteer here at our school in VZ (not in Caracas) whose husband works for the French oil company Total. With the impending elections in 2 weeks, that company wanted dependents to return home for the weeks leading to the election in case of any uprising. She left a couple days ago, returning to where it is supposed to be safe...her home in Paris. CRAZY times. Even she said it would have been FAR safer to stay here then go there right now.
jimmycajun

Post by jimmycajun »

@senator

Yes, I caught your drift, but all I was trying to do was to highlight the discrepancy between an international teacher's reality and outside impressions. I didn't mean it to come off phony righteous in anyway.

I think @overseaslife provides relevant examples of how safety is a relative term.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Senator

I always advise avoiding regions that end in "stan".
kjbar

Post by kjbar »

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. I have the Skype interview with the school in Caracas tomorrow morning.

Additionally, I had my first Skype interview with another South American school last week. It was conducted by the elementary principal and went well. She then let the school's director know to get in touch with me to set up a second Skype interview.

The director just emailed and wants to set up our Skype time before she goes to the Atlanta recruiting fair next week. Since I'm new to all of this, I'm wondering if this means that the director wants to offer me a job and fill a position before the fair or if it means she wants to interview me to be able to compare me to candidates at the fair. Any thoughts about that? Also, if anyone has any insights into the types of questions or conversations that take place in a second round Skype interview, please let me know. Thanks!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kjbar

The AASSA fair is a dump fair, and most of the ISs that attend are just looking to fillout holes in their staffing spreadsheet. Its very likely the recruiter wants to fill one of those vacancies before the fair, one less vacancy to worry about.

Second round Skype interviews tend to include two components, usually the first round interview is to determine if you can do the job within the IS and to determine how you rank against other candidates. In the second round the recruiter is looking for "fit" do they like you, are you high maintenance, are you adaptable and flexible. The second component is contract negotiation, the IS generally doesnt have a great OSH package, and they need some direct salesmanship to convince you its greater than the numbers make it look.
overseaslife

Post by overseaslife »

The ASSAA fair is one of the first fairs of the recruiting season. Not sure what that previous contributor is referring to by saying it is a dump fair. The AASSA fair positions itself in Atlanta for the Central and South American schools. Those interested in this region find it an attractive location because they may want to avoid the high cost of living of Europe, the instability of the Middle East and the huge distances of Asia. Many love the AASSA region for the Latin American culture and Spanish, benefits which accompany a low cost of living and proximity to aging family and/or their college kids. All this while perhaps being in the same time zone as home avoiding jet lag! These are just some reasons why people decide on the AASSA region.

Schools now look year round for candidates. All the big fairs whether in London, Boston, Bangkok or Dubai have schools which will scoop top candidates prior to fairs starting.

Good luck with your interview @kjbar
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I agree with overseas life. I have used AASSA twice to secure a job in Latin America. It's really the recruiter to use if you want to go to Latin America. Why the hell would I fly to Thailand looking for a job in South America when I can attend AASSA for a lot less money and find schools in the region I am looking to teach in. Dump Fair? What's that all about?