Teacher Reference Letter / Letter of Recommendation

Natapop

Teacher Reference Letter / Letter of Recommendation

Post by Natapop »

Hello!

I asked my pricipal if she would provide me with a letter of recommendation (as needed for a job fair I will attend). She said yes - but requested that I provide "a skeleton", which she will then tweak. In other words, I have to write it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to write such a letter? Are there exemplars somewhere that I could see? I am unsure of what length is appropriate, and I wondering how personal/formal the tone should be.

She observed me last year (as required for first-year teachers) and wrote a report, so I know I can pull some ideas from there.

Thank you for your help!
BRMC

Re: Teacher Reference Letter / Letter of Recommendation

Post by BRMC »

Here is a link with some examples: http://www.sampletemplates.com/letter-t ... acher.html

The letter of recs I've seen are one page.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt use an exemplar, if your principal wanted that they would just do it themselves. They tend to be generic and are recognizable by recruiters. Id take a day on the weekend and write your own letter, then submit it to your principal to "tweak". You may however discover that they simply print and sign your letter as is, giving you the exact letter you want.
SSTID

Re: Teacher Reference Letter / Letter of Recommendation

Post by SSTID »

I ask my staff to write down the things they really want me to include. It helps me to get the bits that they want to highlight into the letter and sometimes it hits the specific points in the job ad they are answering.