Any updates on DODEA?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

You might be surprised some things like district wide vacancies happen, and you never know. Strange things happen in DoDDS.

FTE = Full Time Equivalent, with 1.0 being equivalent to 1 full time position. Partial time or split time vacancies may look like .75 FTE SPED and .25 FTE Assessor for example.
kris10msmith

Re: Any updates on DODEA?

Post by kris10msmith »

Gotcha. Thank you, very helpful information. So I tried to apply for the early childhood sped opening with Sterling (in Sicily of all places, where my ancestors are from!) and no luck. I don't have experience with kids aged 0-2. To be fair, we really don't diagnose kids as special needs at age 0....

How does Dodea work with professional development? If you wanted to take classes do they reimburse you?
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

Christmas Break begins now! Be safe y'all!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

We dont have or really get PD in DoDDS, the two types of external PD DoDDS pays for/provides is AVID and AP, and while you will get AVID training its likely to be local, and you wont get AP for SPED. PD is otherwise limited to an AP/P designed power point presentations. DoDDDS doesnt reimburse for courses, classes, etc, and you must renew your DODEA certificate every 6 years at your own expense.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

Well that's a bummer and a blessing in disguise at the same time. I'm used to tons of PD at my district... But it's not always stuff I want or when I want. Don't get me wrong - I'd be a perpetual student if somebody paid me. But I do better when I'm learning on my own terms. 90 minute trainings after a long work day sometimes stress me out, but taking a class on my own time of my choosing is awesome! Funds have been cut as far as reimbursing us... They pay for the cheap online classes through PDI, but don't fully reimburse a 3 credit class like they used to. what do you and other teachers do to stay current and recertify? Online classes? Thanks for all your help by the way - your honesty and insight is refreshing.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

People usually take online classes. There are also classes that are available for us as DoDDS teachers that are fairly cheap and give college credit. For example there is an Autism Book Club where you meet with people in your school/complex 4 times for discussion (after reading related books/seeing related movies) and then submit a short end of class project/paper. I think one gave 2 credits.

There is also a list of books that you can read, submit a paper and get one college credit.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

A lot do online or distance education, you can also go to a local university overseas and do F2F courses.
Many of them are adding credits for salary band, so they pursue graduate credit courses, but you can renew with undergrad credits.

The only 2 compensation disadvantages are the lack of PD, and you have to pay for your own insurance.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

How much is health insurance? I guess I assumed federal govt had good insurance. Mine is pretty cheap with my district - maybe 60 bucks a month. But I've worked places it was closer to 175 a month.

Autism Book Club sounds cool.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

For a family it's closer to $300 a month. I would assume insurance for a single is a little cheaper. On the other hand, the government pays your rent, utilities and a cost of living allowance on top of a nice salary so you still come out way ahead.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

Is it good insurance? I don't have any major medical issues other than asthma, and the occasional sinus infection or sickness picked up from the students. What's the copay like? I know in some foreign countries you can buy stuff over the counter that you need a prescription for in the US.

Also random question - I keep reading on the salary scale "maximum allowable entry level" but it's never stated. What is the most amount of years they accept to place on the scale. I'm assuming it's unlikely they will credit me for all 16, many districts cap it at ten.

I'm assuming in the transportation move, since pets aren't included, it will be pretty expensive to get my 75 pound 4 legged best friend where ever I end up (didn't select Japan on my application because of the quarantine). Guess I better start saving....
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

It's excellent insurance. I've unfortunately had to make use of it quite a bit and the coverage is very good. Some things have a 10% copay.

10 years is the cap on what DoDDS accepts. They don't pay for pets. They will give you a 3 month pay advance if you request it which comes in handy for settling costs.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

That's good to know. Heck, step 10 on the salary scale is still about 8k more than step 16 on my current one... So I can't complain about that.

Say someone gets hired in June or July. When does the moving process start? Do they get you there in time to find a place to live before the school year starts?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

There are two insurance providers for overseas Foreign Service and Blue Cross, both of them are very good. The difference is that Foreign Service actually has direct billing arrangements in some locations, and Blue Cross provides better coverage when traveling stateside. Im with Foreign Service, but both plans are very good. The caveat to that however is that while the plans are very good, most of our posts are not located near major capital cities and medical centers, so the access to medical care can very greatly. You have to get your medical care on the local economy (and many prescription items you need a script for in the US are available in a pharmacy either OTC or by consultation with the pharmacist). You can not generally use the post facilities (at some posts they have made standing exceptions and you can, but its always subject to change and availability).

You do get LQA (Living Quarters Allowance) which pays for your rent and utilities, however you must estimate these at the beginning of the year, if you over estimate you have to pay them back. If you under estimate you have to jump through hoops to get the difference back, its still a minor convenience considering that the LQA rates provide a very, very comfortable level of housing. When you arrive you will also get TQSA either in the base motel or in an off base motel for about 90 days, so you dont have to feel rushed about moving or locating housing.
They will give you a 3 month advance on your salary, but its not an allowance, its an interest free loan, thats deducted from your salary. You also cant choose 26 pay periods your first year, you must take 22, meaning you will not get any salary payments your first summer overseas.

10 Years is the maximum cap in DODDS (5 years in DDESS), so you start on Step 11 if you have 10 years.

DoDDS does not pay for relocation of pets, though depending on the area/region you may be able to quarantine the pet on base.

You dont have a job until your travel orders are issued. Once that happens your transportation and travel coordinator arranges your flights and either your shipping or storage of HHG (HouseHold Goods). Some people get plenty of time to move some dont, and there is no guarantee you will be able to report before the first day of classes.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

Is it the same salary just divided over 22 instead of 26 payments? What's the earliest someone would move? Would I be able to commit to summer school at my district (ends in late July) no problem? I'm assuming don't book August vacations!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

Yes its the same salary just paid over 22 disbursements instead of 26. The earliest technically could be when your hired and your orders go though, from a practical position Julyish. Realistically however, DoDDS has to be your plan C. Many applicants wait years if ever getting an offer, planing any aspect of your life around a DoDDS offer is very naive. I would book an August vacation.