Any updates on DODEA?

BentoBeth

Any updates on DODEA?

Post by BentoBeth »

I am a year away from finishing my MAT! (finally!!) The dream that has been sustaining me for the past four years (teaching for DODEA) is looking more precarious all the time. I was hoping someone with intimate knowledge of their operations could let me know the nlatest status of:

1. closures and/or openings of schools
2. hiring (do you still need two years experience before applying? The web info looks different but that could be wishful thinking)
3. best certifications (I will have one in History upon graduation but can easily test out for ones in Science, Middle School Math, etc.) I will be certified for 6-12th grades.
4. anything else I'm forgetting

I know this has all been discussed on the forum before but it seems like a lot has changed on the past year.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You never needed two years experience for DoDDS, though many teachers in DoDDs have a decade or more of experience.
DODDS (and DODEA) bases qualifications on credit hours, having a state certification gives you a 50% reduction in the number of hours required, but its still based on credit hours. Adding a certification based on an exam isnt going to help you fulfill those credit and course requirements.
BentoBeth

Re: Any updates on DODEA?

Post by BentoBeth »

Thank you for clarifying that Psyguy!
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

There are basically no schools officially scheduled to close this year. That doesn't mean there won't be excessed teachers to place (or even schools that end up closing) but it's still a better place to be starting from than many past years.
BentoBeth

Post by BentoBeth »

Thanks for the encouragement wrldtrvlr! I definitely need it! ;)
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

No problem! It's a great gig and definitely worth dreaming of/fighting for.
jeffwessel

Post by jeffwessel »

"Testing out" as was suggested by a poster will not work unless you have the course work to back it up on your transcripts. I already tried that with General Science (I am an English teacher) and they marked me as "not qualified" even though they marked "yes" on whether I was state certified. In fact, they actually noted in the comments "Did you test out?" and explained why it would not work. In addition, what happens for hiring is a list of names is created by the home office in VA for the person hiring an opening overseas. The principal (or whomever is calling) is required to call all names on that list before a new list is generated. They don't get to decide who is on the list. Only HR can. In other words, they don't search for applicants. Also...Don't count on them to leave a message. I had one call and not leave a message one year. I only caught the missed call for an interview because I called the number back immediately and the lady answered. I also got an interview once based on a personal referral from a teacher working at a school so the list may not be 100% required to get the job. Unfortunately I didn't get the offer because I was not willing to walk out and quit on my current school mid year (this was for a December hire). Hope this helps
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Jeffwessel

There is no suggestion of testing out. Adding a certification by an exam only pathway does save you 50% of the normally required credit hours.

State certification doesnt mean anything on the qualifications, its just transferred over from your application statement of target areas you self reported. Technically a state certification could give you a temporary DODEA certification but those are only used internally now, and dont apply to CONUS applicants.

That process is no longer used, HRQ no longer creates lists for vacancies. EAS is a recruiting and application portal. Principals make their own lists given search criteria they input into EAS. Principals have complete control over the name on referral lists. They can be short or long, and they dont have to call everyone or even anyone.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

What are my chances of being a CONUS hire in Europe? I've completed my application and done a lot of research to learn about schools. I've emailed some of the principals and many respond with something general like "I don't know of any openings at this point but will keep your resume on file". or "right now I don't anticipate any openings, but I might have some after the transfer round". I'm experienced, and certified in preK-6 Elementary Ed and K-12 SPED. I was thinking SPED might help my chances, but from my research, most schools only have 1 or 2 SPED teachers. I appreciate any advice. Also, in regards to phone calls from principals... sorry to ask a silly question, but how does that work with international calling? Do I need to change my cell phone plan or is calling from a base overseas still considered U.S.?
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

Also - if you are state certified its a 50% reduction in course work. What if I have the course work hours for sped - but only 6 of the 12 hours for specific categories like severe disabilities. Do they reduce that to 50% as well?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

Zero, or so close to it that for practical purposes its zero. EUR has been shrinking for sometime. DTs in DoDDS typivally start in PAC and then move to EUR during a transfer (transfer round will again be small this year).

DoDDS begins recruiting in Juneish. SPED has been historically one of the higher needs areas for recruiting. Elementary vacancies are often filled as local hires.

They will call you, the USG will pay for the call. You typically get an automated message from EAS when you make a referral list, and then a principal will either call/email you to arrange an interview, or they just cold call you.

Yes they reduce the 12 required hours to 6 for the specif courses. What you cant reduce by certification is specific course requirements such as a teaching of writing course requirement.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

The odds are against you, just as for anyone trying to get into DoDDS. The odds going straight into Europe are somewhat lower than that (although I did it, as a SPED teacher). SPED does help your chances. Yes, there are fewer teachers/openings but as PG said, there are not usually 5 local hires certified in SPED just waiting for the opening (as there are for Elem.). SPED often goes CONUS.

Yes, the state certification will halve the hours required but only if it is a very specific cert (unlike many of the state SPED certs that are like FL's: Exceptional Student Education K-12).

If you really want to increase your chances than add Pre-K SPED if you can do it reasonably easily. Those positions are very difficult to fill for some reason. Reg. Pre-K is also better than just Elem. but make sure you have all of the classes that DoDDS requires as they are quite picky about Early Childhood.

Keep an eye on the transfer round positions when they get posted. They don't directly affect CONUS hiring but it is interesting to see the combinations of positions and where they are located.

Good luck!
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

What if you aren't certified in the endorsement area, do they still waive 50% of the classes? For instance I'm certified in sped and I currently teach students with autism. However, my state does not have a separate certification for autism. Will the DoD certify me for autism with my sped degree and license with half of the 15 credits required for autism?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No, your certificate must (closely) match the DODEA certificate you are pursuing. You cant use a general SPED certificate towards a specialized SPED DODEA certificate. Its not easy, its a lot of work, an thats why its more of a niche field, and has higher demand.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

so I would need to have the full 15 hours of autism courses even though I have tons of additional hands on training from my district, have years of experience, and was picked by the district for additional training to be a mentor/coach for teachers new to autism? That stinks. The only reason I haven't gone back to get additional college courses is because I can't afford to - stateside teachers have it rough. I have 16 years of experience and a master's and I'm barely making 50k - and all our responsibilities increase each year.... To the point where we work 60 hours a week or more. Sigh. I really need to get out of state run education!!