Admin Qualifications Advice

aloha_ackbar

Admin Qualifications Advice

Post by aloha_ackbar »

Firstly I just want to say that I have read through much of the forum discussions here and have found your posts and contributions to be incredibly insightful and helpful. I greatly enjoy reading your comments on various topics!

Anyway, I am currently at a tier 2ish school as an A-level psychology teacher and exam officer. I previously taught biology and human physiology in the US. Next year I will become head of department and a couple years after that I will have a good shot at getting an assistant principal position as the school is quickly growing and I have a good relationship with the head of school. I am very excited about this prospect, but also want to make sure I am taking the necessary steps to better my career/options whether as a teacher or admin.

I am applying to a master of ed. program soon, but cannot decide if I should get it in Educational Leadership or Curriculum and Instruction. If I’m going to become an administrator soon or far in the future it seems like common sense that I should go Ed. Ld., but have some questions:

-As a teacher (in public schools), in some states you will not get a pay raise if your masters is in Ed.Ld. Is this the case at many international schools? Will an Ed. Ld increase my IS marketability even if I continue teaching or would C&I be better?

-Should I get my degree in C&I to ensure future pay bumps at ISs (and in the US) then try to work my way into admin and get experience or should I just stick with the Ed. Led. path to increase my admin marketability?

-Also, if I do get the assistant principal position, I plan to get my admin certificate from D.C. Is this the easiest route of admin certification?

I would really like to eventually get into admin, but don’t want to hurt my prospects if I end up having to teach longer or return to teaching if I realize admin isn’t for me.

Thanks for the help!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

An M.Ed in Ed.Ld is preferred over an M.Ed in C&I, in the absence of a professional administration qualification. Adding an administrator qualification makes the differences moot if there is a real probability of returning domestically and the Ed.Ld degree would not be recognized.

ISs dont differentiate between "Education" related degrees on their pay scales. What you will see is an IS recognizing a content area degree (a maths teacher with an M.S. in Statistics) but not recognizing a education degree, otherwise ISs only differentiate between degrees (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, etc.). You wont find a pay difference between an M.Ed in Ed.Ld and one in C&I.

My interpretation is that you were working your way up through your current IS as it is, and had a favorable relationship with ownership. If thats the plan and you dont see it changing the masters degree and even the certification are likely to have a minimal role if any in that route. There are Executive Leadership at ISs that have no qualification and only a bachelors degree.
Those differences would only matter if you were applying for leadership vacancies cold, in which case an Ed.Ld masters would be far more marketable than a C&I masters.

Yes, the D.C. route to an administrator credential is the easiest certification route, however if you are doing a Masters degree, it is advisable (though it would be difficult) to pursue an administrative credential as part of your degree. Two other options to consider:
1) While much more work, you could complete a research Ph.D. in three years.
2) I would strongly consider one of the IBO Professional Teaching or Leadership certificate programs since you are pursuing a Masters, this is significant added value, and would still allow you to add the D.C. administrative qualification.
aloha_ackbar

Re: Admin Qualifications Advice

Post by aloha_ackbar »

Thanks for the fast reply PsyGuy. You’re right, I am working my way up through my current IS and could get the assistant principal position without further degrees/certifications. My line of thinking is to get that AP position, get a few years experience while getting an M.Ed (online) and the D.C certification in hopes of getting a admin position at another, better, school afterward. Is this a reasonable plan, or is it smarter to just work as a teacher at a higher tier IS then work your way up the ranks from there? It seems as though schools may want to higher internally.

I was planning on applying to the University of Texas at Arlington M.Ed program (they have both Ed.Ld. and C&I options) as it is fairly cheap ($10k) and I could start/finish it quickly. I’ll begin to investigate some IBO certificate programs. I’ve also considered doing a research Ph.D (or possibly an Ed.D) after I’ve completed the M.Ed so I could work on a few decent writing samples in order to apply. I would have to do the Ph.D F2F, correct? Also, would C&I be more beneficial to pursuing a research Ph.D as it would have more research based courses?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@aloha_ackbar

That is a very reasonable, and typical pathway. The most difficult aspect of IS leadership positions is getting that first appointment, after that its your leadership experience more then qualifications and credentials, but having a Masters in Education and an administrator qualification gives you a very marketable resume. You will be at the same level in regards of credentials as the majority of those in leadership positions.

The issue with the "higher tier" IS plan is getting one, your at a tier 2ish IS by your previous post, it may well be a number of years until you are in a 1st tier IS. Additionally, 1st tier ISs have low turnover, it could be many years ever after getting into a 1st tier IS as an IT and then waiting until a senior leadership vacancy opened, and then youd have to compete with a LOT of other applicants for that vacancy. Being on the inside you may have an "in" but the executive leadership may decide to go externally or something. Its a lot of factors and variables that have to happen over what is likely a long pathway.

$10K is a very good price for an M.E, Ive seen cheaper but thats a very good price. You would pay more for an IB Masters program, but youd get an IBO Professional Certificate, you would also get a Masters program focused more on IE

There is no such thing as a "research" Ed.D they are practitioner degrees. A research Ph.D isnt something you find in the States or in Canada (to my knowledge), they are European offered options for a degree.
F2F depends greatly on the program, a research Ph.D is entirely based on the production of your dissertation, there are no classes or seminars required as part of the program. Unis with research Ph.D.s have various residency requirements, you can/may petition to be released from residency requirements, the typical rational is to collect field data or conduct offsite research.

No, C&I or Ed.Ld its still an M.Ed., which is again a practitioner degree. If your pathway is directed towards a Ph.D. program youd want to get and M.S. (maybe an M.A.) that included a full thesis as part of the program.