Do you have to attend job fair?

newcounsel

Do you have to attend job fair?

Post by newcounsel »

Hello :

I am writing to get helpful advice on weather or not I should attend a job fair and invest money into a recruitment agency. I have been in education for ten years, currently I am counselor and I have just completed my principal degree. I really want to work overseas as that as been my passion. The issue I am having is in my current state we never pay to look for a job if you are truly qualified for the job you get it. Also, do I pay money to have some one look for a job for me? I have looked on several school website and made contact already to let them know I am interested in jobs that might become available. Please do not think that I do not want to pay to get the help but I truly want to know if its possible to get a job without having to miss several days of work, hotel, flight ticket to land a job. Everything requires investment but internet is the new thing these days. I greatly appreciate any positive advice. Thank you
Nomads

Re: Do you have to attend job fair?

Post by Nomads »

I would advise you to join Search or Iss as this will get your resume and references into the main databases that most IS use. Many schools will only hire candidates from these firms or similar ones because they require confidential references. It is important to note that these firms are not headhunting firms that actively work to get you a position. They simply get you to the database where schools can find you and you can search for vacancies.

It costs a few hundred dollars. You do not have to go to a fair. At this point slightly less than half of all jobs are filled at fairs. As an experienced counselor, you should be in demand. If you can go to one for a reasonable cost you may want to try it, particularly as it is your first time out, as you get to interview with a wide range of schools and network with veteran overseas teachers and administrators.

Good luck on your search.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You have a principal degree? I beleive that would be the first instance I have heard of such a degree. Typically, leadership have an M.Ed/M.A/M.S. in Ed.Ld or C&I, and an administrator credential by a regulating authority.

Neither of the two premium recruiting agencies SA or ISS (Search Associates/International School Services) will find you a job. they are not recruiters in the same context as an executive recruiter or "head hunter". All premium agencies do is include your professional details into a candidate database, and give you access to a jobs/vacancy database, in addition to eligibility for fair attendance. They do not pitch your application or file to ISs. They do not help or assist so much as they provide access and maybe some encouragement. They do not get you a job in IE.

You do not need to be repped by a premium agency, however they provide services that are more direct and efficient in vacancy search. Are they worth it? My general advice is that if you have a broad vacancy search, such as 1) you are open to teaching maths anywhere at any grade level, 2) youre only interested in elite tier ISs, or 3) you absolutely want to go to one of the fairs, than a premium agency can save you considerable time and frustration.
If however, you 1) Have a very focused/narrow vacancy search where you are only interested in teaching in France or Japan, etc.. or 2) Are only interested in a small number of specific ISs, or 3) Are only interested in lower 3rd tier ISs (the SA and ISS databases are too small to provide an exhaustive vacancy search to justify the cost), than you better off using less expensive resources and building your own 'hotlist' of IS employment pages, etc.

You can absolutely get an appointment outside of the premium recruiting agencies. ISs are doing more and more of the agency functions themselves through the use of technology. It wasnt that long ago you had to use an agency because F2F interviews at fairs, etc. were the only option, and tools like Google Forms had not made adhoc application portals possible. Now anyone can create a basic database with Google forms with the mearest speck of know how and create an internal application process.
Cold resume submissions are rarely effective (though online application portals, can be).
Vernacular

Post by Vernacular »

No, you don't. These days, there are many other options.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You don't, but quite honestly, your ability to compare schools' data, the package offered, the type of hiring they do, and more, goes up, and the amount of time you spend researching (and time is money), goes down. You can also join online sites such as TIEonline or Teacherhorizons, but be aware that these sites won't list many of the jobs from top schools out there. Those stay on Search or ISS, or on the school websites themselves.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

shadowjack wrote:
> You don't, but quite honestly, your ability to compare schools' data, the
> package offered, the type of hiring they do, and more, goes up, and the
> amount of time you spend researching (and time is money), goes down. You
> can also join online sites such as TIEonline or Teacherhorizons, but be
> aware that these sites won't list many of the jobs from top schools out
> there. Those stay on Search or ISS, or on the school websites themselves.

agree with jack.

v.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Thank you all for your feedback. Also, I have a principal certification not degree, I meant I have two masters degree. I will way my options to see what route I will like to take. Thank you
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You might also want to sign up with someone like Carney-Sandoe and check out their overseas positions. They are headhunters.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Have to disagree with SJ, many of the school profile pages are outdated, and they dont give you access to the actual pay scale they give you 2 points BA+4 years experience and MA+8 years experience, but even those values can be inaccurate. A n IS is going to offer you what they think you are worth, it doesnt matter what the school profile states.

Many of the upper tier/elite ISs advertise vacancies only with the premium agencies, but those ISs are so well know, few, and easily accessible you could easily (and practically) create your own hotlist of those ISs employment site without having to use a premium agency.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Have to disagree with PsyGuy - "An IS will offer you what they think you are worth".

Any IS worth its salt is transparent and there is a scale. You will be on the scale. Some might have some leadership money they can steer your way for taking on extra duties, but top IS's going off scale to get teachers is pretty rare, if it happens at all. Why? Once word gets around, staff become VERY unhappy. An unhappy staff is something reputable schools try to avoid.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Our principal gave us an update on the school's recruiting effort so far this year, with only knowing the positions available of those who took the incentive way back at the beginning of the school year, and we were told that our big Asian school was trying to fill all it's positions prior to the fairs and that the fairs would simply be a public relations exercise.

I understand why schools are recruiting earlier, trying to get the best candidates to sign early and to beat other schools to the punch. However, it appears many schools are now recruiting in September/October and so "early" is a misnomer. The competition for the best talent is now done over Skype in the fall rather than in hotel rooms in mid winter or the spring. In the end it's only the teachers getting the short end of the stick by having to search early. I have been to several fairs and while not for the faint of heart, have left them satisfied. I was able to shop my talents around, talk to multiple schools, perhaps entertain more than one offer and make the best choice for me. I'm not so sure this is possible any more. So do you have to go to a fair, no you don't but I'm not sure the alternative is that much better.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

You qualified your remark well "ISs worth their salt". Many ISs are not transparent, upper tier ISs include clauses in their contracts not to discuss their salary or compensation package. Many ISs are lower tier ISs and they dont have open/published and transparent compensation and/or salary scales.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

And are those schools any teacher really wants to work at? Thanks. I'll pass.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Some do, some ITs prefer third tier ISs compared to higher tier ISs. The third tier has a majority portion of ISs, whether they want to or not many, many an IT spend a portion of their career in such ISs.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Thank you Shadowjack I have never heard of Carney-Sandoe. Will look them up right now and see if I can get leads. My search associates platform is taking quite some time based on the "optional" requirements that I am being asked to submit. Thank you again. I'm truly looking at a certain reason and would like to explore getting a job by Dec/Jan without having to wait in person.