Phnom Penh

runningsloth

Phnom Penh

Post by runningsloth »

Anybody with experience living in PP? Just curious about your thoughts on the city, especially with kids.
buffalofan

Re: Phnom Penh

Post by buffalofan »

I lived there 10 years ago, and have been visiting off and on since then. It's a nice little city that has gone pretty cosmopolitan recently. Loads of nice restaurants and bars. There has been a huge economic boom over the past few years, and the last time I was there (about a year ago) constructions sites were everywhere and traffic was horrific at peak hours. Not the greatest place if you have kids, not a lot of green space.

Apart from ISPP, I think all the schools there are for-profit.

It would not be my top choice in Southeast Asia, but it's way better than Jakarta or Manila.
BRMC

Post by BRMC »

We have friends who taught there. They have 2 children, and they loved it. As previous poster noted, lots of good restaurants/bars to choose from, and a fun night market. There are a few green spaces, and a nice riverside promenade.

My wife and I have not lived in Phnom Penh, but we visit every year and like the laid back atmosphere, great food and the most friendly people on the planet. Obviously, PP is nowhere near the touristy draw as other places in the country, but you can get to the rest of Cambodia easily (and cheaply).
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

I would not want to live in PP with a family or as a single guy. (Assuming I had other half way decent options).

PP is quite behind when it comes to infrastructure and development. Even as a capital it still feels like a dusty little backwards town.

I did a Southeast Asia tour last year and I was ready to get out of PP after one day lol.

But it is cheap and offers good traveling options in the region.