How to Get Into I.B. curriculum school

globalcitizen

How to Get Into I.B. curriculum school

Post by globalcitizen »

This has been my first year abroad and I am realizing I got this job so easily because they have not settled on a curriculum and are doing an "American" English Language Arts curriculum by default. Now that I am looking at the postings of other schools as I plan my exit to West Africa, it is becoming clear to me that I need to get into a position where I can teach the IBDP. But, how does one do this when most schools are likely only going to consider applicants who already have. Basically, I am wondering how one transition into learning the IBDP? I, of course, have researched it and it seems like I approach my teaching in my Language Arts class in a similar fashion, anyway. But, I have never taught I.B.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@globalcitizen

Well they could just as easily have chosen a British NC curriculum. They really havent chosen a curriculum they just hired western ITs and let them teach what they know.

1) Learn the IB philosophy and Lexicon.
2) Implement inquiry based meds/peds in your classroom.
3) Document these.
4) Identify IB ISs that have a dual curriculum. Many ISs will start an IT in a none DIP class and then as you demonstrate competence you get moved into DIP.
5) Look for ISs that are candidate IB ISs and get in early.
6) Consider finding or returning to a DS that has an IB program.

IB training is generally worthless. When it comes to DIP best practices are best practices. It is much easier to train someone on the IBO then it is to make them a great IT.