Angola situation

overseaslifer

Angola situation

Post by overseaslifer »

It seems like there are troubles in Angola associated with the oil price decline. Anyone who knows more, care to give more details about what life is like for expats at the moment? How are things on the ground, especially at LIS?
overseaslifer

Re: Angola situation

Post by overseaslifer »

Just bumping this ...
Ozymnds24

Post by Ozymnds24 »

Staff are currently having issues being paid on time, due to changes in Angolan government regulations making it very difficult to get US Dollars out of the country. Works visas, as always, continue to be a pain, However, they seem to have recently found a solution to the financial transfer problems, and the Dollar crisis does have a positive side for those being paid in foreign currency: local products are now much cheaper! I think I've talked in detail about the financial side of things in another post (thread: Best salary/package in the world?)

If you have a specific question, some of the staff are open to receiving emails about life in Luanda: http://www.lisluanda.com/jobs/ask-our-staff-a-question/ (I used to be on the list while I was there).

Alternatively, I'd be happy to talk in more detail about my time there via PM / WhatsApp / Skype / email etc. if you message me. I'm probably heading back there to travel in July 2016, so am watching developments closely.
overseaslifer

Post by overseaslifer »

Thanks for replying - it would be great if you could PM me.

(I'm looking for the PM button but can't find it? Am I being slow?)
Ozymnds24

Post by Ozymnds24 »

Maybe there isn't one, I hadn't looked! Also, you've not set up any contact details that I can see on your public profile. I'm not keen to post my email in this forum, so please message me through here: https://www.facebook.com/equatorialguineaguide and we can exchange emails that way. Cheers!
overseaslifer

Post by overseaslifer »

Cheers!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

PMs are not enabled on this forum, too many security and spam/harassment issues in the past.
elevate88

Post by elevate88 »

I recently applied for a position at LIS and am waiting on any kind of response.
Usually some automatic notification email is sent but not even this was sent by LIS to me.

I had thought that LIS maybe a school who places preference on hiring those found at a fair.
(This is the case with my school in Asia)

Does anyone out there have any info on the LIS hiring process?
sitka

Post by sitka »

A friend working there got hired late in the season over skype.

Not sure if that helps.
overseaslifer

Post by overseaslifer »

Elevate, I think you are right. This is what it says on their website:

"Personal interviews are required and are generally conducted at international recruitment fair locations. This year we will probably attend the following recruitment fairs:

Search Associates: Bangkok, London"