Do I have a better chance in Russia?

shebestova

Do I have a better chance in Russia?

Post by shebestova »

I am interested in finding a teaching position in Western or Eastern Europe for 2016-2017, but I am terribly worried about not standing a chance in the competitive Western European market. I also have a family and I am concerned about living paycheck to paycheck in Western Europe. Would I have a better chance at securing a position at a good school in Russia or is the Russian market just as competitive?

Thanks so much!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Cost of living can be better in EE, a great deal depends on what you want to do. You can burn through cash in Moscow just as fast as you can in London, Dubai, etc.. There is a great deal of income disparity so if you want to live on the local economy you can save money, but I doubt that lifestyle would be attractive to your family.

EE ISs are just as competitive as WE ISs because the pool of ISs is so much more smaller, you look at premium agencies and each country has maybe 1-2 ISs and they are invariably the embassy ISs for that region.

The single greatest factor in an ITs lack of success/failure in IE recruiting is focusing exclusively on high desire/high competitive niche markets. Those ITs that only want Europe, only want Japan, and only want a 1st/elite tier IS, those are the ones that are most likely to be unsuccessful.
We get many posts about this every year, about the family or individual that wants to go to the WE and give the spouse and the kids some culture and travel, etc. They are called tourist teachers, recruiters avoid them. There isnt anything wrong with wanting what you want, as long as you understand your path is likely to be far more challenging and filled with more frustration.
sciteach

Re: Do I have a better chance in Russia?

Post by sciteach »

Do remember that Russia is a huge country with a very unstable currency at present. That means that if your wage is paid in rouble - your wage could go up or down up to 100% in the next couple of months. OPEC flooding the market with cheap oil (along with fracking and lower world oil consumption) and some sanctions have helped the local currency tumble. Moscow is also known to be an expensive place to live....

I'll also confirm that try making your search area as wide as possible. One year - I went to a major fair wanted to only teach MYP Science at a Tier 1 school with great savings potential - but not located in asia or the ME. As you can guess - that did not leave many jobs available....
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

When I was an inexperienced teacher I received interview offers not only from Russia & Ukraine but also from Latvia, Italy, Turkey, Sweden and Germany. I know that list isn't terribly helpful without the specific schools but it suggested to me that those areas might not be as competitive as others, even though they probably weren't considered 'Tier 1' schools, so don't give up hope and perhaps look there too.
steve416

Post by steve416 »

I have worked in Russia but not WE (I've never really applied to WE so I can't provide much comparison).

There are a growing number of schools in and around Moscow and depending on what you teach you may be able to get employed at an okay school. I was hired as a new grad at a school in Moscow, it was far from perfect but in the greater scheme of things it was a good experience.

Please do keep in mind the current economic situation when looking at contracts. Even contracts with amounts stated in foreign currencies will be payed in rubles if paid into a local bank account (they will marked against the central bank exchange rate). Some schools apparently pay into foreign bank accounts, I don't understand the legality of all this. The details of this sort of contract are important so read carefully. Also do some research into the tax situation. New foreign employees in Russia face a steep tax rate though many schools will pay taxes on your behalf.

Lastly as alluded to by previous posters living on the economy in Russia would be no fun. When it comes to eating cheaply it is not Asia.

Hope that was helpful!
shebestova

Post by shebestova »

Thanks to everyone for the information and insight. Hopefully, I'll be able to secure a position!
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

shebestova wrote:
> I am interested in finding a teaching position in Western or Eastern Europe
> for 2016-2017, but I am terribly worried about not standing a chance in the
> competitive Western European market. I also have a family and I am
> concerned about living paycheck to paycheck in Western Europe. Would I have
> a better chance at securing a position at a good school in Russia or is the
> Russian market just as competitive?
>
> Thanks so much!

as long as you're not a canadian you should be able to get into russia.

good luck!

v.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Vandsmith, why not a Canadian? I know several Canadians who are or who have worked in Moscow. Just curious if things have changed...
steve416

Post by steve416 »

I am Canadian
musteach

Post by musteach »

Curious about the Canadian thing...I was looking at a job at Anglo-American school and it did say that candidates must be US or UK citizens. Can anyone confirm that they do not hire Canadians?
Chadekni

Post by Chadekni »

Hi there shebestova, I accepted a position in Moscow last hiring season. Despite some people finding Eastern Europe as difficult as Western Europe, 2 out of the 5 interviews I had (from 70 applications) were from schools in EE (Kiev and Moscow). It is possible that I had an advantage though, as my wife is a native Russian speaker. Having a Russian speaker on the team also helps me to live more local and save some big $$$.

Russia is surprisingly a good place for kids. Russians really do love children and there are so many playgrounds and activities around geared for kids. I guess the biggest challenge is winter, as it gets bitterly cold (it is snowing here today as I type).

The currency situation actually works to the advantage of anyone paid in Euros or USD. It is Russian law (or so I am told) that salaries are paid in rouble, even though my yearly rate is quoted in Euros. In practice at my school, that means that exchange rates are locked in for three months at a time. Since the currency collapsed, a Euro is worth nearly twice as many rouble as before. The prices have certainly increased, but not by double, so the purchasing power of my salary is far greater than it would have been just a year or two ago. I came from Thailand before this job which is considered very cheap and food from the supermarket here in Russia is not actually much more expensive than Thailand at the new exchange rate.

You do need to be aware that Moscow is almost exclusively apartment living. Only multi millionaires bother with standalone houses anywhere within the two ring roads. Small apartments are affordable, but a family size apartment in a desirable location will be your single biggest expense.

Another example of cost of living improvements can be seen with apartment prices. Basically, the prices are the same in roubles as they were before the crisis, even though a Euro buys almost twice as many. My apartment costs 45000RUB = 625EUR. Before the crisis it was the same in rouble, but back them 45000RUB = approx. 1000EUR. Also, some Western companies have pulled their expats out, meaning that nice European style apartments in the centre that were pitched at the expat market have a low occupancy rate and their prices are depressed as a result.

As far as Anglo-American and hiring, I did go to their presentation at the Bangkok fair and they were very open about only hiring from a narrow range of nationalities. I know for sure Irish, Australian, NZ'ers and South Africans were not being considered, I honestly can't remember if they also included Canadians.

Anyway, I feel like I have just dumped a whole lot of information in a jumbled mess. I hope you find it useful. If you have any more questions feel free to post them here or message me.
steve416

Post by steve416 »

Anglo Americans hiring preferences are listed on their website. Other schools in Moscow do not have such a narrow range.

" that means that exchange rates are locked in for three months at a time"

My experience has been rates locked monthly or simply matched on the day of pay. The day of pay is in my opinion clearly better. If the rouble goes bottom up after your rates have been locked you could lose significantly.
Chadekni

Post by Chadekni »

steve416 wrote:
> My experience has been rates locked monthly or simply matched on the day of
> pay. The day of pay is in my opinion clearly better. If the rouble goes
> bottom up after your rates have been locked you could lose significantly.

I agree that day of pay would be better, but it is what it is. I either accepted the policy or didn't get the job. While there is definitely risk there is the chance of benefiting too.

My last rate fix was at 74RUB and it is now down to 71, and it has gone as low as 69 in the last few weeks. So I have been getting an extra 3-5RUB per Euro than the official rate. Hopefully I continue to get lucky, or at least lucky for long enough that it makes up for when it doesn't go my way ;)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

In general I have seen both 3 and 6 month fixed exchange rates as well as the daily exchange rate on the day salary disbursements are made.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

In the past AAS was able to hire Brits, Canadians, and Americans. They had some recent significant visa issues with Canadians and are no longer able to hire them.