Salary range in China?

marieh

Re: Salary range in China?

Post by marieh »

Quote: "You are right one could pass the exam missing all calculus questions. However, at present it would be a terrible idea to risk having to teach something like that out of knowledge / expertise."

As a secondary math teacher, thank you for realising this.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Medellin, just looked at the technologies for FCTE.

In this regard, technologies is not taught overseas except for IB schools which offer MYP or DP Design. Design is usually digital or product, or a combination of both. In design, you might have students doing woodworking projects, plastic fabrication using heaters, vacuum formers, etc. You might do some jewellery making, some food technology, some resistant materials work, some computer coding or graphic design, some CAD design and more. Some schools do strictly digital design and it is integrated into other curricula, or separate, or a combination. Students don't touch a single tool. Other schools are product design where students are in workshops using tools, 3D printing, CADCAM, laser cutters, etc.

Computer technology would be more like what I described in the last post.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Yea that probably is not a good idea. I think I will just add elementary and maybe SS to my middle school math. then take what ever I can get this winter to fall.

Wish I would have applied myself in math while I was in school or atleast been studying it this past year. Not being able to add the 9-12 is causing me some stress. lol
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MedellinHeel

Yes and no. "Technology Education" as its implemented in ISs consists of 2 areas: 1) Computer Science and 2) Design Technology. The FL Technology certification is the former Design Technology. If you can do that youd find a market as a maths design technology IT. The more common however is the Computer Science, which FL also has. Computer Science is far more common as an ISs (especially at small and medium size ISs) technology implementation. You really only see true design technology programs at upper tier ISs due to the cost of resources.

I do agree with @SJ that robotics or some form of engineering course is becoming more prevalent. I disagree that you need to be able to talk much of the talk. Many recruiters would not know how to assess if your responses to those questions were accurate, and only upper tier ISs will generally have an IT or HOD as part of the interview. Depending on the IS the ability to bluff your way through a curriculum varies. I know many ICT ITs in primary and lower secondary that are doing nothing more than Apple/Google apps.

The food technology, jewelry making is more Consumer and Family science, and you find it more in NC ISs/DSs that have a home economics/esthetic arts program. The other part to design technology can and does overlap with Art within the ISs fine arts program/curriculum.

I can understand your concern about maths but its not about if you can teach calculus, its about getting though an ISs screening process.

1) ISs rarely assign a junior IT to a school leaving course. That usually goes to a senior IT, and the junior IT is assigned a lower secondary class/course load.

2) We are talking a year. You wont have your first day of classes until September, thats plenty of time between now and then to refresh and or learn calculus or algebra or geometry or statistics or whatever it is your being assigned.

3) How proficient are you in Algebra, geometry, statistics, etc? There are a lot of secondary maths fields within maths that your middle years FL certification isnt representing and lack of a professional qualification at that grade level is going to make you ineligible for those grades and classes that you are competent in. So what if you arent good in calculus, not having a secondary maths certification means you arent qualified in any of the others.

4) As I discussed above its about getting through the screening process. Even if an IS is recruiting for a year 8/9 Algebra IT, if they have 20 applicants and they need to get the candidate pool down to 5, they are going to see a lower secondary only qualification as a deficiency and discard your application.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Yes I am aware that the calculus would probably go to the senior IT. However, I would just be screwed if I had to teach calculus at present. I am decently proficient in Algebra, Geometry, etc. You basically have to know the basics for those even for the middle school licensing test that I took last year. I have never even taking a calculus class in school. I am not gifted numbers wise or mathematically. I should have been studying this past year while I was in Korea doing nothing.

Now now I am trying to figure out the best course of action.

I am only in the US for another month or so. At the moment I and finishing up the last part of my TeacherReady program.

I could probably add 1 or 2 certifications before I leave. I am thinking to add Elementary Ed. and one of either Social Studies or Computer Science. Elem. Ed will only take 1 or 2 weeks of study. Not sure how long the other ones would take as I would basically be starting from scratch. Tests are not cheap (200$) so I can't not afford to waste money and not pass on first attempt.

If I were to add one of SS or CS, which one would you recommend?

Then after I return to Korea in January bust my tail studying for the Maths 9-12 exam to take when I return to the US.

Also, while in Korea apply to IS for Fall 16' for jobs I am currently or will be qualified for i.e. middle grades math and elementary. If I get one of SS or CS then those as well.

If I get a job for Fall 16 great. If not, no biggie. I will use some vacation time to return to the USA next November and take the High School Math exam. Pass and start applying for jobs for the Fall 17. Then when contract finishes shortly after I return from the states go relax in Thailand, Philippines, or Vietnam for 6 months until Fall 17.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MedellinHeel

I wouldnt choose either, if your going the lower secondary route, I would add the FL 5-9 General Science, thats what your going to find marketable when restricting yourself to the lower secondary level is a middle years maths/science need in vacancies.

Can you do upper secondary CSCI? How many languages do you know (both classical and rapid deployment)? the problem is that unless you have a background in programing your not going to be a marketable candidate at school leaving level with just having a certification and thats what an IS needs someone who they could assign to anything in their subject.

When you say social studies whats your background? As written in a previous post in upper secondary and school leaving level you dont have "social studies" you have history, economics, psychology, etc.. If your thinking of lower secondary where you still have integrated social studies you would need to combine that with a literature/language certification to fit most vacancies.

Strictly speaking from a marketability approach the K-12 CSCI is more marketable than lower secondary SS.

I wouldnt add primary, not for an intern class IT. Its the most common qualification, the labor pool is over saturated and you have no experience. When a IS gets to that point in the resume pile they just go local, or hire someones spouse.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

@Psy

Not sure why I didn't think of middle grade general science. That would be better than SS definitely.

I have zero familiarity with computer science so that is probably not a good route to take given my short timeline her in the states. I need something that only requires a small amount of study and background knowledge to pass.

I am not understanding your comment about the primary edu. While it is the most common, it also will have the most vacancies. I know newb primary edu teachers who got jobs with zero experience. Most recent one got a job in Shanghai. There are probably low tier schools but for my first gig I won't be picky in the slightest. Easy test to pass that just gives me one more option when job searching. Cant hurt.

So I think for the 1-2 months I am still here in the states I will

1) knock out the last assignment of TeacherReady
2) get primary edu certificate
3) get the middle grades general science certificate

Then when I get to Korea in January start studying for the 9-12 math certificate.

Edit* Just looked at the General Science test info. Lots of info to learn fml good thing you don't need a high score to pass
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I agree with PG that MS/Lower Secondary Science would be a logical choice to go with Math. if you aren't proficient in any kind of coding, passing the exam will be rough, although the previews/reviews they have online would help you prepare. But with ZERO CS background you might find the HS hard.

As to food technology and jewellery making, etc - that ALL clearly falls under MYP design. Some schools won't offer it, but others do. Given how little most international students are involved in cooking, and the fact that most have to go off to university, parents like the foods technology, strangely enough :-)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I know intern class ITs who get primary positions they are part of a teaching couple. Alone, your going to be so far down on the resume pile any IS that looks at you is going to be closer to a bilingual school or ESOL.

Primary doesnt have the most vacancies, not in comparison to their respective labor environments. Primary covers a lot of subjects though half the K-12 grades. Compared to the size of the market, primary doesnt have that many vacancies. Many ITs stay, they move when their spouse moves mostly.

No it cant hurt, but that doesnt mean it helps. You would be better off in SEN/LS or technology education, etc. than primary if youre looking for a single subject. The more you are a niche the more marketable you are, throwing yourself into a huge pool of generalists at your experience level is going to be a more difficult challenge. An IS is more likely to take a chance on someone when they are desperate, and there is NEVER a shortage of primary ITs.

The only benefit to primary is if you are looking at those international kindergartens/reception/nursery, etc positions.

The CSCI exam uses something called "pseudo code"its not specific to any programing language. It would be a nutter idea trying to teach CSCI at upper secondary, but I know one IT whos technology skills are greatly outdated and all they do is evaluate and help students brainstorm ideas and fixing their own problems. Most students in CSCI at upper secondary and school leaving level already know what they are doing.

No jewelry making doesnt mandate it fall under design, it could just as easily fall under art. MYP has become more prescribed but there is still a lot of flexibility. 50 hours is nothing its 3 months, and culinary arts/food science is going to be found in a NC program in home economics or esthetic arts or as a non IB elective within a classical IB World School.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

To be honest I am kind of not even wanting to get a IS job this August. That would mean no 6 month vacation in SEA. If I am gonna take the High School Math license exam next November then it would be kind of a waste to take the Elem. and Middle School Science license exams right now.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

MedillinHeel, back to your original question, have you ever visited China? It probably goes without saying, but It's a much different place than South East Asia. An entry level teacher will generally have a much better time living and working in SEA. Compared to the big cities of China, SEA features a lower cost of living, better quality of life, and much, much cheaper and better holiday opportunities.

Unless you are getting into an upper tier 2 or tier 1 school in a major city in China, I would try to avoid China, and go for a middle-tier school in a place where you will actually be happy. HCMC would be perfect for you.

Oh, and if you end up getting 6 months off to relax. Make sure you don't stay in Thailand the whole time. Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines all have tons of amazing things to see (with Indo and Myanmar being my favorites).
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

@Nikkor

Haven't been to China, but to be honest I do not need much to be contempt or happy in a locale assuming it has basic necessities. For me to be happy all I need is one good friend and a workable pool of women to date.

I have traveled around most of SEA having lived in Asia the past 2-3 years. I am wanting to spend these next 2 years working towards starting a family or atleast getting a serious relationship. I am nearly 30 and while all the partying and inhibition have been great, its time to work on settling down and moving on to the next chapter.

Vietnam is ideal for this. Hence why I am also interested in South China, as it is a stones throw away.

But at the end of the day I gotta take the best job / opportunity that comes my way.

@PG

Yea, screw Elementary Ed and even the Lower Secondary General Science licenses. I am just gonna spend next year studying and return to the US next November and take the 6-12 Mathematics and 6-12 Chemistry license exams. I will probably still apply this winter for a Middle Grades Math job just to see if I get lucky, but will just plan on entering the IS arena Fall 17 with much better certs.