Salary range in China?

MedellinHeel

Salary range in China?

Post by MedellinHeel »

Was trying to go to Vietnam but considering China as well. Wondering what a newb teacher should aim for.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Top of the ESOL and the bottom of the third tier is around 20KRMB (month), 2nd tier is around 30KRMB, 1st tier around 40KRMB and elite tier around 50KRMB+.
vincentchase

Re: Salary range in China?

Post by vincentchase »

There's no way a new teacher would be on 40-50k RMB (US6300-7900) per month at one of the better schools. Not unless you are talking gross, which would be misleading.

Concordia International School in Shanghai is one of the best paying schools in China to my knowledge, and even there, a teacher with 2 years experience is on 27500RMB/month.

Even a MA and 15 years experience will 'only' get you 39500RMB/month.

I don't think you'll find ISB or WAB pay any better.

https://www.concordiashanghai.org/about ... its-salary
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@vincentchase

We have this topic every year. "About" is plus or minus 5K RMB, so the ranges are touching.
Im not citing gross but I am including compensation benefit cash equivalents. An example is housing, your IS may provide actual housing or a housing allowance and in the latter its just direct cash, in the former it frees up salary that increases your discretionary income. What isnt a cash equivalent compensation benefit is a tuition waiver. It has value, but if you choose not to send your child to the IS or dont have children you cant (generally) get the $10K (average) value as a cash benefit. So its semi-gross, I dont find that misleading, i find it the closest to a meaningful, stable value.

Further those salary scales have range restriction, since you typically dont see entry class ITs at elite tier ISs, so most of the ITs at elite tier ISs are near the upper end of those scales. Just as you dont typically see master class ITs with high step values at bottom tier ISs, many of the ITs at those ISs are on the lower end of the salary step scale.

In addition China has multiple economies, unlike somewhere like Singapore. You dont find first/elite tier ISs in the rural provinces, so you arent going to find 40K RMB in Quingdo, your only going to find those mostly in Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou.

ISB pays more
Mr DepTrai

Post by Mr DepTrai »

Go to the salary scale on ISB's website....its up there, higher than SH
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

How do most 2nd tier schools advertise or find teachers (or teachers find them)?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MedellinHeel

Same as first tier ISs, recruiters, job boards, etc. Depending on the model you subscribe too the second tier isnt anything to be ashamed about. I subscribe to the educator/teacher model. The 1st tier is the top 5%, the 2nd tier is the top 75% (80%)-95%, third tier is below that. It leaves a VERY large 3rd tier.

Many second tier ISs in a region are IB ISs that bridge 3rd tier too 1st tier ISs.
MedellinHeel

Re: Reply

Post by MedellinHeel »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @MedellinHeel
>
> Same as first tier ISs, recruiters, job boards, etc. Depending on the model
> you subscribe too the second tier isnt anything to be ashamed about. I
> subscribe to the educator/teacher model. The 1st tier is the top 5%, the
> 2nd tier is the top 75% (80%)-95%, third tier is below that. It leaves a
> VERY large 3rd tier.
>
> Many second tier ISs in a region are IB ISs that bridge 3rd tier too 1st
> tier ISs.

What would be your plan of attack and expectations for getting a job if you where in my shoes?

- Completing my final assignment this month with TeacherReady but it takes 4-5 months to actually be sent your license if I recall (newb teacher)
- Going to back to Korea in 2-3 months (January) (hoping to leave come July/August) (want to pay off my credit card in that span which i can easily do given 4+ months)
- Want to get a job in Asia for Fall 16'
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MedellinHeel

Just how done are you? Have you passed all of the FL exams? After your final teaching assignment and your recommended this month, is that ALL that is left? What is your certification area?

If you are really done, the only issue worth pondering and considering is to join SA. The BOS fair is the intern fair and its designed for IT candidates such as you, however it is likely to be very disappointing for you. There arent many intern positions and you will be competing with a large number of people. Many of the SA ISs and vacancies are going to want 2 years or more of post certification experience. SA is $225 for three years, plus the cost of travel to attend the fair. If there is no hold up with your FL certification and your just waiting for issuance (it wont take very long in November to actually issue the license), you could get SA membership done quickly for an intern candidate.

I would look into TIE its a low cost job board, no fairs, nothing fancy and its $30 a year. You will find a lot of lower tier ISs in various parts of Asia and other hardship regions. I would also consider you apply with CIS the application process is very similar to SA and ISS, but the service is free, and they do have a fair (one of the super fairs), though its in LON. Though you arent likely going to get much interest from ISs through CIS.
I would also look at TES, there is no registration and its free. Its mostly British NC ISs however. Dave's ESL Cafe is an ESOL board but within the third tier you find a subset of bilingual ISs, International/English Academies within other DSs.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

@Psy

I have passed all the Florida tests. Only thing left to do is the final week of student teaching. My certification area is middle school math.

I won't be able to attend a fair.

I guess I will just spam the all the job databases & recruiting boards with my CV. Also maybe even cold email schools my CV. Maybe try some Facebook groups as well.

Wont be the end of the world if I do not get a position for Fall 16. Ill get to chill in Vietnam or Thailand for half the year relaxing lol.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@MedellinHeel

Your next task should be adding secondary Maths (6-12), you will be seriously challenged with only a lower secondary credential. I would also begin considering adding a complimentary area to maths either science or ICT. Many smaller ISs need an IT to wear two hats or teach multiple cross curricular subjects.

It is not advised to submit cold resumes they are a waste of time. Apply for current posted vacancies you are qualified for.
MedellinHeel

Re: Response

Post by MedellinHeel »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @MedellinHeel
>
> Your next task should be adding secondary Maths (6-12), you will be
> seriously challenged with only a lower secondary credential. I would also
> begin considering adding a complimentary area to maths either science or
> ICT. Many smaller ISs need an IT to wear two hats or teach multiple cross
> curricular subjects.
>
> It is not advised to submit cold resumes they are a waste of time. Apply
> for current posted vacancies you are qualified for.

Not sure I can adequately teach Calculus. I was never really a math person in school. I mean I made B's without really applying myself. Just never pushed myself or was interested in taking any high advanced level math.

Which would you recommend out of SS or ICT? Could just do both and throw in a PE as well. But now way I could do that this first go around as Ill be out of the country soon. Maybe if I failed to get anything for Fall16 then maybe could throw some stuff on for Fall 17
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MedellinHeel

Id figure out if you can teach calculus, the two big maths sub areas are algebra and calculus. If you cant do calculus, you need to rethink your idea of being a secondary maths IT, as it will significantly handicap you. Lower tier ISs may have to take what they can get, but you will be stuck there.

Aside from that adding an all secondary maths or any other area in FL only requires passing the requisite exam. It wouldnt take very long to schedule an exam or two before leaving. Even if you knew nothing about calculus and guessed, and got all the calculus items wrong you would still very likely pass the test, since the number of calculus specific items on the exam is small.

ICT is far more marketable than SS, in ISs SS/humanities is typically paired with language A/Literature at lower secondary levels and SS doesnt really exist by itself at upper secondary/school leaving levels. You dont teach "social studies" you teach history, economics, geography, psychology, etc.

PE/PHE with a maths IT would be a very rare sought combination.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

@Psy

You are right one could pass the exam missing all calculus questions. However, at present it would be a terrible idea to risk having to teach something like that out of knowledge / expertise. Maybe after a year of studying lol. Still need to refresh completely on Algebra lol.

Is ICT the sam thing as "Information Technology" in Fla? http://www.fl.nesinc.com/tests.asp

I actually could probably add that before I leave the US.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

ICT is sort of information technology. You can market yourself as an IT teacher, but without experience you won't find many decent schools willing to take a flyer on you. As an ICT/Computer/Graphics etc teacher, you will want to have a wide knowledge of programs, platforms, apps, procedures and processes to back you up. For instance, if I were to ask you about the relative merits of photoshop over gimp, or SketchUp over AutoCAD, or whether you would teach Java vs Python, then you are talking ICT/Computers. Add in things like robotics which is becoming more popular and you become even more marketable. In addition, knowledge of GAFE (or many Google Apps if you have never been at a GAFE school, or Apple Certified Educator, or a background in either) is also very useful.

You can wing it if you don't know stuff, but at the good schools, that doesn't fly as often as it used to. However, having it on your CV as a cert can't hurt. The trick, if you are planning to go with that in addition to maths, is to be able to talk the talk/walk the walk.