Teach Now vs. Teacher Ready

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@elevate88

There are about 54 options....
Id depends what your objectives are? Do you want to teach at a IS/DS within the US or at an AS outside the US?

If you are interested in teaching in the US a private/independent IS either will want a relevant state certification for that state or the IS will accept your Irish teaching credential. If you are interested in a US DS (Public School) you will need a certification from whatever state or territory the DS is located.

If your objective is to teach at an overseas AS outside the US, then the same preferred options for American ITs apply to foreign ITs as well. You want a state with minimal or no renewal requirements and as simple/convenient application process as possible.

California is the gold ring but they have very esoteric requirements mainly an ESOL qualification/ English Learner Authorization, an advance degree, and it can get complex. Failing that you would have to do induction and thats a waste of time and resources, unless your intent is to teach in CA. The CA CLEAR credential is 5 years but has no renewal requirements outside paying the renewal fee.

New Jersey has lower requirements, that are easier to meet and the NJ credential is a permanent lifetime certificate. You do not have to do anything or renew anything, once its done you can forget about it. While NJ does issue credentials to foreign applicants you must complete and affidavit of pursuing citizenship.

DC (District of Columbia) offers a 4 year license, but has PD renewal requirements. DC requires a DBS check, and Praxis testing (you can take globally), but outside of that the process isnt difficult.

Hawaii (HI) is the easiest. Your bachelors degree meets the basic skills testing requirement, and your degree major meets the content area requirements. No additional testing and no DBS check. You just send in your documents pay your fee and your done. You could do the whole thing in a day. HI does require verification of three years of teaching experience (within the last 5 years). The HI standard certificate is valid for 5 years and requires PD for renewal.

These states and many others will require a transcript and credential evaluation from one of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service organizations. Which is the first place to start.
elevate88

Re: Teach Now vs. Teacher Ready

Post by elevate88 »

@psyguy

Yes, you read my mind!
My objective is to teach at an overseas AS outside of the US which requires US teacher certification.
I appreciate all of the potential routes which you have mentioned and it is very helpful to see the easier routes written down.

As you have suggested, I attempted to apply for a standard license through Hawaii but am facing issue with the SSN requirement.
Is there any way around this?
MedellinHeel

Re: Reply

Post by MedellinHeel »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @MedellinHeel
>
> No experience no formal professional educator training. Thats a lot of
> white space, you will likely find a lot of frustration and disappointment.
>
> ISs are not really structured to mentor an intern class IT.

I am already expecting to take what ever i can get. i.e. Low expectations. I doubt I am gonna be disappointed.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

elevate88 wrote:
> @psyguy
>
> Yes, you read my mind!
> My objective is to teach at an overseas AS outside of the US which requires
> US teacher certification.
> I appreciate all of the potential routes which you have mentioned and it is
> very helpful to see the easier routes written down.
>
> As you have suggested, I attempted to apply for a standard license through
> Hawaii but am facing issue with the SSN requirement.
> Is there any way around this?

You can obtain a SSN if you are taking US course work I believe. Need to check that though
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@elevate88

Contact the HI HTSB, and ask them for guidance, they may just agree to use another agency number they assign or determine for you. If they require you too have a SSN (Social Security Number) to apply, request them to provide you a letter on agency letterhead that the SSN is required by the State of HI for application and tracking purposes and issuance of your HI license. You can then apply for a SSN and include it on the HI application.

You can find this in the following publication:

http://international.cua.edu/res/docs/s ... 2-2005.pdf

Another option you can try which is FAR easier and faster is you can apply for a TIN or Taxpayer Identification Number, and substitute that in place of the SSN, assuming the HTSB agrees and allows this for you, they have in the past for previous applicants.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

elevate,

why do you want US certification? Get out of Ireland and start teaching internationally. Try to get into an IB school, and from there the doors open. You are already a certified teacher, so nothing is stopping you. Schools don't require US certification - they require certification from your host country. Europe, US, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ, and SA are the preferred.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

As indicated in a previous post the LW is interested in an AS that specifically requires US certification.