Assistant Teaching Position in Germany + Job Fair Attendance

Natapop

Assistant Teaching Position in Germany + Job Fair Attendance

Post by Natapop »

I am only in my second year of teaching in a public school in Canada (primary, French Immersion). However, I would still like to try to get my foot into the international school realm. Because my (non-teaching) partner is European, for visa/work reasons, I would like to try to get a position in Europe (particularly in Germany or Scandinavia). I know that Europe is especially competitve, and that with my limited teaching experience (and no experience in international teaching), I don't have much of a chance at being hired.

I understand that there are many openings for teaching assistant positions (for native English speakers) at German international schools. If I was able to be hired for a such a position, could it be possible that a few years experience could eventually lead to transitioning into a classroom teaching position at the school, or count as international school experience when applying to other schools?

Being at the start of my career, I would be thrilled to gain experience (especially with the IB PYP) in an assistant position. However, I am unsure of whether or not such experience would recognized in a few years' time, or if I would essentially still be in the same position as I am now. If anyone has any experience/insight on assistant teaching postions, please share.

Lastly, I am not planning on attending nearby job fairs (Search Associates in Toronto / TORF) because of my lack of experience + narrowed geographical preferences. Does that make sense, or should I attend regardless?

Many thanks : )
sid

Re: Assistant Teaching Position in Germany + Job Fair Attend

Post by sid »

I wouldn't recommend that course of action. TA experience is not counted as teaching experience. The only thing that counts is full time teaching in your own classroom, post certification. Subbing and part time do not count, and assistant work is completely off the radar.
So if a school hires you as a TA, there's a chance they might move you to teacher down the road, but no guarantee. You'd be a known quantity, but what if things don't go well, or you don't get on with your teacher, or school leadership? Then you've got a worse resume than you do now, with limited experience and a couple years without teaching responsibility.
Plus the region you want pays notoriously low, even for teachers. For TAs it's even lower. You'd be starving.
My advice is to get more teaching experience before trying for that region. Either at home or international in some region more likely to take you with less experience. But don't move backwards down the professional ladder.
calvin76

Post by calvin76 »

Even with only two years of teaching experience, I would recommend going to a fair. I got my first job at TORF, right out of teachers' college at a decent SA school. You may be limiting yourself if you're locked into Europe, but if SA, Asia or ME is an option, then a fair is a good bet. IMHO, TORF has actually come a long way in recent years with a huge list of participating schools. Many of the 'elites' won't be there, but there are still many, many good schools and decent packages to be found for all levels of experience.
Good luck!
seashell

Post by seashell »

I've been in Germany for 5 years now and at two different schools in the country. All TA' s have been local hire, you could never get a visa sponsored on those kind of salaries. Most are students themselves or part-time working moms.

There are a lot of for-profit International Schools here in Germany who will hire younger and less experienced teachers. Keep your eye on TES and TIE online and just start applying. The salaries are low, but livable.
Natapop

Post by Natapop »

Thank you for all of your really helpful responses. I've reconsidered taking the TA route, and will definitely look into attending TORF. Merci!
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

I generally concur. TA experience doesnt count for an IT resume, and I agree many of them are local hires and part time/hourly work. You would starve with a trailing spouse, unless your spouse can carry you by themselves financially. You would be taking a very high risk of a weaker resume for a potential faculty appointment at the IS your a TA at.

I wouldnt attend TORF or the SA fair. The TORF fair has gotten better over the years but for WE you are looking at three school (ISB in Belgium, Phorms in Germany, and the Bilingual ES in Italy.) Thats, it, most of their schools will just as easily hire you over a vitual (Skype) interview. Id only consider TORF (at a cost of $125) if you had contacted those ISs in advance, and they had committed to a set interview for you, and only if there were a number of committed interviews, and your attendance was relatively local.

Your spouse is an EU citizen, I would focus on applying for EU citizenship though your spouses home country. then wait until summer there will be a lot of WE ISs that will hire you for having an EU passport and work eligibility even with your relatively weak resume.