TCNJ - Certificate of Qualification (Non-US Citizen)

wavejumper

TCNJ - Certificate of Qualification (Non-US Citizen)

Post by wavejumper »

Hi all,

This is my first post. I'm looking for some guidance about certification options from overseas. I have searched the forum thoroughly but haven't found any prior discussion of my topic.

I am interested in The College of New Jersey's global program. Completion of the program results in different certification depending on whether or not you are a US citizen. US citizens receive a New Jersey teaching license whereas non-US citizens receive a "Certificate of Qualification".

I am not a US citizen so am eligible for the "Certificate of Qualification".

This certificate does not expire and I have been informed that it is accepted by international schools and their accrediting agencies, but not by all national systems.

Would anyone be able to let me know where this particular certificate rates in relation to the more traditional certification options like PGCE + QTS or a standard teaching license from a US State?

Would TCNJ's "Certificate of Qualification" be considered equal in the eyes of IS recruiters? Or would some schools or governments look on it unfavourably as, unless I am mistaken, it does not actually license you to teach in any national system?

Any help is appreciated!
sid

Re: TCNJ - Certificate of Qualification (Non-US Citizen)

Post by sid »

You'd be ok in many schools, but the real issue is the government. Many governments require full certification, and this won't do. You have to go country by country to find out.
The individual schools know. As you apply, it will become clear where you can or cannot move.
elevate88

Post by elevate88 »

I am currently also attempting to get US teacher certification and am finding it difficult to obtain information on this forum just like you. I am Irish and have Irish teacher certification and teaching council recognition so do not need to obtain a formal teacher qualification. I am based internationally and am not looking to relocate to the US but would like to have any US state teacher certification in order to apply to certain international schools which require it. If anyone has any information on this process, I would greatly appreciate it! (Also, I don't have a SSN)
wavejumper

Post by wavejumper »

Thanks for the reply sid. Do you have any idea which regions might not accept the certificate from TCNJ? As far as I'm aware you can get a working visa in most countries to teach English as long as you have a BA and perhaps a teaching certificate like a CELTA or TESOL. Would the law be different just because you work at an International School?

Elevate88 , I have looked into what you are trying to do. Your best option may be a program called "Teach-Now". As a non-US citizen you can receive a Washington teaching license through the program. The course provider has informed me that this license is renewable every 4 years as a non-US citizen. I have requested more information about the renewal process but they have yet to reply.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with @sid some ISs will be fine with it, many ISs will not. Its not a license. Yes you can teach ESOL with a BA, but providing instructional services in a EC-12 IS/DS may require an actual license to qualify forr a work permit and or foreign license.

The certificate of qualification would be on par with the various PGCEi certificate programs offered by Nottingham, etc. You will also find it difficult to transfer. You would be better off completing the Teach Now program, and applying for the Standard DC certificate and then transferring/parking that in NJ.

elevate88 would not be benefited by a program such as Teach Now or Teach Ready, they already have a professional qualification.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Actually, to get your certificate of qualification, you have to write and pass the same exam that the US participants in the course have to pass. They get certified by the State of New Jersey. Non-Americans get the equivalent certificate. In the past, they used to get certified too. Not sure when that changed.

However, I know quite a few schools that employ non-American TCNJ grads.

Hope that helps,

shad
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Yes you have to complete all the same requirements, including exams as US citizens who do get a certification, except you dont get a certification, not at all. The UK model is very congruent with the NJ licensing program.

TCNJ issues a institutional/academic certificate and a "Certificate of QUALIFICATION", this is not to be confused with the "NJ Certificate of ELIGIBILITY" (CE) issued by the NJ DOE (OCI). The CE is an actual license for teachers completing an alternative certification program (ACP). The certificate of qualification is a statement by the school verifying the participant has met all certification requirements for a NJ certificate. Why? Because some states (such as Hawaii) will issue certification to those who are not licensed but have completed EPP/ITT programs elsewhere, the certificate of qualification documents the candidate has met those requirements. However much like a PGCEi it is purely an academic qualification without the corresponding QTS (or even NQT status) attached to it.
NJ has a "Non-Citizen Standard" license but much like the CA preliminary credential is time limited to 5 years, and requires the IT to show progress in becoming a US Citizen, without which it would not be renewed, and would expire. This would be a difficult challenge for an IT who was not interested in immigrating to the US, but it is not a license, by the generally accepted definition, in that it is not issued by a governmental regulatory agency and does not qualify the holder to provide instructional services in the public/regulated jurisdiction of governance.

It doesnt mean the TCNJ certificates dont have value or utility, much like a PGCEi there are many lower tier ISs that will accept it as a professional qualification, and the TCNJ could be used to apply for a professional credential elsewhere (such as DC). The issue is why do that at the cost of time and financial resources when their are options that will provide for a full professional license for non citizens (such as Teach Now).