Etiquette for calling up schools and principals

durianfan

Etiquette for calling up schools and principals

Post by durianfan »

I have about 6 applications out for various schools (mostly in Asia) and haven't heard anything back besides the auto reply when I applied. Is it considered proper etiquette to just call up the head of school and ask about my candidacy for employment? Has anyone done this? What do you say?

I realize that I don't teach a high in-demand subject (English A), plus I've got a trailing spouse and 1 non-school aged dependent, but I figure giving a personal voice to an application might go a long way.

All replies are appreciated. Thank you.
sid

Re: Etiquette for calling up schools and principals

Post by sid »

In most cases, I doubt it would have the desired effect. And depending on the school, you'd be unlikely to even reach the director, nor would it be of any use if you did. In a big school, the director is unlikely to be personally vetting applications. It could be handled by anyone on the admin or HR team. You're possibly just one of a hundred or more lines in a google sheet, listing your basics and given some sort of numerical rating based on the school's preferences. Unless you're high on the list, no one at the school is likely to know your name. And if you're high on the list, they'll be reaching out when they're ready to move forward, not before.
In a small or not so great school, with less applicants, you might be able to reach the director and they might even be the one taking care of applicants.
So base your action on the size and quality of the school.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Currently, it is very early in the job hunting season and schools are currently just collecting resumes at present. Most schools are only really filling pivotal roles (admin) and hard to fill roles early in the season such as math, physics and learning support.

Schools tend to be more respondent after christmas when they have a list of jobs they need to fill for the upcoming teaching year.

I don't know how many schools I have contacted in the past - but I only ever get a response normally if they want to interview me. As such - asking to speak to the HOS about if they received your resume may not be the best idea.

If you have only put information into 6 schools - I would widen your net and try many more schools. Quite often - teachers only want to work in one country or 2/3 schools which limits their chances of finding a job. For example - the chance of a person getting a well paid history job at an IB school in France is almost impossible. That's because the numbers of jobs this intails is small and the number chasing these jobs are large.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @sid.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

No way man. That would be awkward....