Question about Visa/Immigration

PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Most countries and ISs dont do much as far as CRB checks go. They essentially put the burden on you to provide them a criminal CRB from your home of record. Some ISs will run a private check but it will likely be a name search and i dont know your name but without fingerprints and other identifiers it wont produce much that couldnt be explained or denied (a lot depends where the offense happened), one of the biggest issues is dealing with records in a foreign language. Some of the embassy elite tier ISs have access to LE dossiers and CRB information though their embassies.
ISs wont check every CRB database youve taught at they will rely on references. If your reference was positive they assume their was no criminal activity. Their rally isnt a mechanism to check every country for every candidate. There just isnt access for a private entity to all those databases.

Governments or ISs? Governments dont do much, they take what an applicant (IS or IT) give them. There just arent the sharing arrangements for every traveler and applicant, the classical way of doing it takes far too long and involves letters regotory, etc. There just isnt a global database yet. Governments will check InterPol and whatever database they have.

ISs have more time but they have more limited resources. They again depend on an applicant to provide them the appropriate CRB documents. An IS may have access to an embassy consular officer who has LE CRB access. Aside from that ISs will:

1) Do a Google Search
2) Check the regulatory agency for the credential to see if there is any disciplinary record.
3) Check list 99/ISA and its equivalent.
4) Use an external contractor to provide a name and DOB CRB search (expensive and not very helpful).

Bambi Betts, AISH and PTC can think about it all they want. If actual governments and people with badges cant get access to that information readily, then an organization of private organizations (ISs) isnt going to either.

Disagree with @sid honesty is your only chance of failure. An IS isnt going to hire you and will make you VERY unmarketable. They will likely not even look at your resume, since any HOS that did hire you knowing your criminal background would be putting themselves on the line for any repeat or related events. Even if you are discovered over time, who knows when that might be if ever. You could easily do a two year contract and no one ever find out, and thats building your resume.

You already have a recent IS with strong references, you would be better off just ghosting the experience.
mcqueen

Re: Question about Visa/Immigration

Post by mcqueen »

An update on my situation.

As sid suggested, I conducted an international background check on myself. I gave the background check service many details to aid them in their search, including addresses, case # etc. They were not able to find any evidence of my situation. This gives me some peace of mind.

I am now considering PsyGuy's suggestion to ghost my experience in that country and start a new job search. However, there is the temptation to keep that experience on my CV with the expectation that international schools and/or recruiting agencies will not require a background check from every country that I have worked in, but rather solely from my home country and current location.

Thoughts?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mcqueen

It was 6 years ago, the experience was not teaching or education related. It adds no marketability or utility to your resume, and no matter what you find now, timmoeow is another story. Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead. Ghost it and purge it from your memory.
mcqueen

Re: Question about Visa/Immigration

Post by mcqueen »

@PsyGuy

Yes, the experience was not teaching related, but it did occur in a country where I have significant teaching experience. It seems I should ghost the experience in case I would ever be asked to produce a background check from every country that I've ever taught in. What percentage of IS's want every background check from every country that you have taught in? How do you ghost 3-4 years in the middle of your career without raising questions?

As an aside, Search Associates asks for every address that you have held in the last 10 years. Why? Do they investigate this info?

Finally, will my current principal see my updated CV that is missing key experience when she fills out my reference on Search, or will that not be made available?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mcqueen

The number is rising, and the availability of data and information is growing exponentially. You spent a signifigant amount of time in that region, its more likely they would ask for a CRB from their than some region you were only there briefly.
The information you provides to the company to search for your imprisonment is now part of their database. These organizations and companies are in the market of data collection not data protection. If it wasnt searchable before, its likely more available now.

You dont, you just want to have an answer thats better than prison for a violent crime, to do that you need to ghost that experience, and replace it with something more benign. You have three choices:
1) Ghost the experience (safest)
2) Hope no one finds out (stressful)
3) Be open about it (and be unemployable)

Yes/No, they dont investigate anything, its made available to ISs who can investigate if they want. Additionally, an associate might perform some rudimentary/basic list checks.

If your principal is a SA repped IS than they can see whatever you have on your resume. If your principal isnt a SA repped IS then they just get the survey without seeing your profile.