Leaving because of administration

Life Is Good

Leaving because of administration

Post by Life Is Good »

I will be moving on from my current school, for a number of reasons, but first and foremost is because administration is a mess. The new director is making poor decisions and moving the school in the wrong direction and the principals are going along, probably to save their own jobs. It is unfortunate, as the school is a really great institution.

I don't want to get too into that, but I would like to ask people for suggestions as to how I can phrase my reasons for leaving to a prospective new boss? I'm sure administrators know that there are lousy administrators out there, and I don't want to trash talk anyone, but I don't want to lie either.

Thoughts?
fine dude

Re: Leaving because of administration

Post by fine dude »

Many of us have been there and I hear you.
Well, if you are leaving at the end of a contract, you have nothing to justify.
If you are quitting in the middle of a contractual year, it is not pretty. You need a genuine personal reason (health-related or similar) to convince, which again is not easy.
shadowjack

Re: Leaving because of administration

Post by shadowjack »

As Finedude says, at the end of the contract you can simply say that you were seeking new challenges, or there was no room to advance professionally and you are seeking that out. Or a change of scenery after X years in one location.

If you are breaking contract, that is harder... LOL
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with prior contributors, if its end of contract there is no reason to get creative, the generic professional growth or opportunity to explore a new location is more the sufficient. In such cases i would avoid trashing the previous IS.

If you are breaking contract however you will need a very strong case and explanation for leaving, assuming your IS isnt one of those for a reputation for those pulling a runner.