Spanish teacher

shebestova

Spanish teacher

Post by shebestova »

I have a master's degree plus 30 and certification to teach K-12 Spanish as well as 5-9 social studies and K-5 general elementary. Do international schools have a difficult time filling Spanish teaching positions or are these positions just as competitive as other teaching areas? I would like to teach in an international school starting in 2016-2017 and I am curious to know if my Spanish certification would the best way to secure an international position.

Also, since I have multiple certifications, does that make me more marketable in the international school world?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
jstwatchin

Re: Spanish teacher

Post by jstwatchin »

Most Spanish teachers (or language teachers in general) were native speakers. The reason for that I hear most often is that "it's what the parents want". Are you a native speaker?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have been at several schools where the Spanish teacher is not a native speaker. You still have to have decent English skills. However, it is similar to other areas in that there is no major shortage. That said, when you go recruiting in your area, some years there are lots of teachers looking to make a move or enter international teaching. Other years there are not many at all. So there are several factors at work: how well you present yourself, jobs in relation to teachers looking, whether it is straight Spanish or Spanish French, etc.

Hope that helps.

Shad
shebestova

Post by shebestova »

jstwatchin

I am not a native speaker. I hope that does not mean I'm doomed!

shadowjack

Thanks for the positive words and encouragement. I'm hoping that this is a year in which there are too many openings and not a lot of Spanish teachers. I am starting to see postings for Spanish teachers, but most positions are in Asia. Fingers crossed that there will be some openings in Eastern Europe!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

What's with all the Spanish/French positions? I've seen those advertised a ton. Really, how common would it be to speak both languages so well you can teach both?
Walter

Post by Walter »

If you have teachers who can offer, say, Spanish to IBH but are also comfortable teaching French 1 or 2, you will make life so much easier for your schedule builder. Every year, because of student preferences, you may find your school offering more or less sections in one or the other language and to have teachers with some flexibility is a real bonus. Otherwise, you find yourself hiring a string of part-timers.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Yeah, makes sense. I'm just jealous of those magical people who can speak a third language! I've only ever had room in my brain for two, and that's hard enough.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont need to be a native Spanish speaker but dual fluency is still required, your going to have to be fluent in English. I agree with @Walter romance languages like spanish/french while not common arent uncommon and having some proficiency in a third popular language (Spanish/French/Japanese) will make you much more attractive to an IS in terms of scheduling.

More certifications isnt always better, but cross-compatible ones are (maths/science, language/humanities, etc..).