Couple of intern teachers

Fred10

Couple of intern teachers

Post by Fred10 »

Hi everyone.

I'm kind of new to this world of international teaching so I'm going to post my situation and hope that you can help me with some things.

I'm a newly qualified physical education teacher from Portugal that has came out of college last year. Although I just finished I have a year of intern position at a secondary school (part of the master course) and 5/6 years of experience in basketball coaching. Also this year I took a part time job as a physical education teacher at an international school in my country and I'm a personal trainer at a local gym.

I was looking to get a job abroad with my girlfriend who is also a PE teacher with practically the same resume as me. We registered with SA and we were told to go to the Cambridge fair because it was the one were most schools would hire people with little or no experience (intern). We are having a very good experience with them so far.

One of the things that scare us the most is going there and we don't get a job were we can be together at the same school. What do you think? Should we go? Do we have a good chance of getting a full job? And if we don't do we have a good chance of having an intern position at the same school?

Thanks in advance
sciteach

Re: Couple of intern teachers

Post by sciteach »

To the best of my knowledge - the Cambridge fair is the best one to go for when you are an intern as this is how it is marketed.

However, I do see major problems with both teachers getting intern positions at the same school. I have heard that some schools hire interns but they are normally in different departments.

PE is also one of those positions which does not have that many jobs available - but this is mainly due to PE having less teaching hours than other subjects. As such - I do think it will be almost impossible to get a position for 2 interns in PE at the same school.

Others may disagree and that is their right - but I like to be as honest as possible with what I think with what knowledge I have.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i've had friends kind of in a similar situation. depending on where you go, one of you could be a personal fitness person and the other teach.

i'm not that familiar with "intern" as it seems like you're a recent graduate just with no experience - and it certainly is possible to get hired somewhere with little to no experience. both of you being PE teachers could be difficult though.

good luck!

v.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Fred10,

If you can afford it, I would encourage you to go to the fair and see what happens. You can market yourselves two interns who can fill one full-time position and the school gets two coaches. Obviously sharing housing is not a problem for you. To my knowledge, few schools hire interns for PE, but your situation is unique and a school could fill a regular vacancy for about the same amount of money but get an extra set of hands.
Fred10

Post by Fred10 »

Nomads wrote:
> Fred10,
>
> If you can afford it, I would encourage you to go to the fair and see what
> happens. You can market yourselves two interns who can fill one full-time
> position and the school gets two coaches. Obviously sharing housing is not
> a problem for you. To my knowledge, few schools hire interns for PE, but
> your situation is unique and a school could fill a regular vacancy for
> about the same amount of money but get an extra set of hands.

That's what I was thinking. I can afford to go to the fair but I'm a little bit afraid of going and coming back empty handed though. I'll think about it and let you know. Please post more opinions =)

Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

LON would be the best fair to go to, youre from Portugal so you have an EU passport, and there are a lot of third tier ISs that dont care who their PHE teachers are. Its also the region thats likely to split boys and girls PHE requiring two ITs.

ISs that have real intern programs generally only have 1 vacancy IS wide, it would be rare to have two int he same department, as for many ISs (especially small ones) it would mean two interns running the entire PHE department. ISs arent really designed with programs for interns and the ones that do see it as a mentoring position, there wouldnt be a senior staff member in your department to mentor you. Again, though many lower tier ISs dont care much about their PHE department.

In all probability though, the fair is a bad option you will be competing with a lot of more qualified PHE ITs and there is not going to be a reasonable likelihood of two PHE vacancies at any level, you will very likely leave disappointed and frustrated.