How's the air (quality) up there?

jstwatchin

How's the air (quality) up there?

Post by jstwatchin »

Having just moved to Southeast Asia from China I expected to leave one problem behind me - pollution and the need for masks and air filters. I certainly was not aware of any pressing environmental concerns that could affect my health and my new admin also did not face up to it when I asked during the interview. Yet here we are, staying home for far from the first day this semester as the air outside is toxic to breathe. This morning it rained ash out here. Another thing that makes it worse than China is the tropical lifestyle, which means the division between inside and outside is not that clear, hence it's much harder to stay away from the haze - which apparently has been an issue for over a decade where I am.

How is the air where you are? Are there any other environmental or other concerns which may impact ones health in the long run? How possible is it to mitigate? How do you cope?
fine dude

Re: How's the air (quality) up there?

Post by fine dude »

Recently, California reported a 65% drop in cancer rates due to an increased quality of air. (http://www.californiahealthline.org/art ... hern-calif)

My point is it's worth taking a small pay cut to enhance your's and your family's lifespan.

I breath crisp air on a daily basis (a luxury these days) and we spend most of our weekends outdoors.
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

Jstwatchin,

Can you tell me what city you are in?
jstwatchin

Post by jstwatchin »

Let's just say, we get the haze from all the Sumatra fires. But I've heard there are fires on Boreno as well. Would like to know if there is anything pertinent I have NOT heard of.

Are you back in Cali - Fine Dude?
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

I worked in Malaysia, too.

Has the air in KL gotten that bad? I was there 5 years ago and things were fine.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@jstwatchin
Not yet. I was citing official data to make a point. Here is the world resources site link to fire points in Indonesia.
http://fires.globalforestwatch.org/#v=m ... dirty=true
Land conflicts also make people in that region to become negligent of ravaging fires. Who wants to put off a fire when they have no incentive or control over litigated land?
If countries import less palm oil from Indonesia or come up with certified haze-free products worthy of export, then they would feel some pressure to deal with the situation.